Pages

Monday, July 17, 2006

more griping.

To all those who tell me to work out harder, longer...eat less. Smaller portions.
I quote the website. SO BACK OFF. (yep....still pretty cranky)

http://www.ivf-et.com/tlc/fact_pcos.html

"Almost always, individuals with PCOS gain weight very easily and lose it only with great effort. Everyone knows that some individuals consume large quantities of food and never gain weight while others work hard just to stay ‘fat’ instead of severely obese. Vanity keeps some from weighing much more than they might, if only they were less vigilant. When seeking medical help for weight control, too often, the obese patient has been told to exercise more, or to eat less. Clearly, this over- simplification fails to take into account the high likelihood that individuals vary in the way their body utilizes calories. Some use calories less effectively, or store fat more easily. A key to the way the body uses energy is insulin. Insulin is a hormone released by the pancreas in response to the breakdown of food into sugars, proteins and fats by the digestive system. Insulin promotes the storage of fat to ensure a constant source of fuel, calories, ensuring the body’s most efficient operation. As described in more detail below, PCOS increasingly has been linked to abnormalities of insulin and glucose metabolism. In the past, this may have been an adaptive advantage allowing survival against cold, or famine. Now, in part, a response to today’s sedentary lifestyle, obesity has become a genetically related disease, which may be treated, but only with great personal conviction and effort. Certainly, weight loss can only be achieved when caloric expenditure exceeds caloric intake, but genetic, metabolic and environmental alterations make this a much more complex equation. Hopefully in the future, there will be relief, which is both more effective and less painful than our present treatment strategies. "

And now all those who read my website know way more about me than they ever did before. But you know what? People should know about it.

PCOS, Food Allergies, High Cholesterol with a family history of Heart Problems. YAY!

I remember when I was a kid, and I had perfect attendance in school. I was so healthy back then....yeesh.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Hang in there Babe.. You inherited some bad genes.. I love you as you are and only want for you what YOU want for you..
I don't have all of your problems, but I still find it hard to lose.. Metabolism, I guess.. but as long as I can lose a pound a week, I am happy.. that would be 52 pounds in a year.. It took me years to put it on, so I can't expect it to come off overnite..
Wish I had the answers for you, but Pixie and I love you no matter what...

Post a Comment