Pages

Friday, August 04, 2006

The cat wouldn't eat it either.

Except that then Anthony told me that cats won't usually eat out of people's hands.

Story time:
So I sent Anthony an article about foods that I should be eating to lower my cholesterol. He decided that this would be the perfect time to try and get me to eat fish, since it is listed as a healthy food.

So he comes home with some groceries...starts up the rice cooker, starts steaming some fishy smelling stuff in the rice cooker. (it steams and cooks rice, all-in-one!) Which starts my first complaint of why I don't like fish. Because it smells. (and it took 2 days for the smell to go away) So he says "no, you will like it" and I promise him that I won't. So he continues cooking, and I am reading my book and looking up once in a while from the book to see what he is up to.

He announces that dinner is ready. I put the book down and walk slowly over to our breakfast bar. I slide into my seat and take a deep breath. Which was my first mistake. "It smells fishy", I said. "It's supposed to smell like fish, it *is* fish." says Anthony. "It's pink, it isn't cooked." "Baby, I promise it's cooked."
Now, I have to give him some credit. He made it look really nice. He cooked up some brown rice, topped it with the fish (salmon maybe?) and some crushed tomatoes with a garnish...he really went out of his way to make it look nice.
But it still smelled like fish.

I put some rice and some tomato and a small bite of the fish on a fork. I put the fork down before I even got it close to my face. I took deep breaths again, this time through my mouth and not my nose. I put my head in my hands, I psyched myself up for it. I said that it would taste good. It was good for me, maybe I can start eating a diet of fish and rice. I picked up the fork.
I stopped breathing through my nose.
I put the fork in my mouth. I closed my lips around the fork and tasted...
tomato.
At first, all I could taste was rice and tomato.
Then I tasted the fish. And it didn't taste like fried haddock. Or grilled swordfish, or Mahi Mahi from Trisha and Jeff's wedding. It tasted like fish.
And I didn't eat it.
And I ordered a cheese pizza from Papa Ginos.

The pizza was great...not at all fishy.

So I took a piece of the fish to Princess, the cat who lives here. She wouldn't eat it either, which I got a big kick out of. Until Anthony said, put it down, she won't eat it out of your hands. And I had to be dissapointed when he was right.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

I am so glad I introduced FITDAY to your Mom and that now you are using it...
Someday you will have to try to make a list of what you CAN eat so the rest of us can help with ideas...

Keep it up and tell Anthony I think it is great that he is helping ( or trying to)
IF you like the Fried Haddock... could you eat it baked ?? What about canned Tuna ?

Luv Ya...

Mimi said...

I thought I had posted a note to you .... wondering how the challenge between you and your Mom is going ??

KJ said...

Hehe... I hate fish! I can remember when the kids wanted to have tuna fish sandwiches. This is what they had to do:

Open the can, Drain the water, mix the tuna, wash the can out with soapy water, put the can in a plastic bag, close the bag and put it in the trash, take the trash OUTSIDE. Thoroughly WASH the sink with hot soapy water and spray AIR FRESHENER before Mom (me) got home.

Mimi said...

Has the Yellow Chevy broken down ??
August 4th is the last time it "went out for a drive.."

Post a Comment