Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

Update 9:55am:
The whole reason I posted about this today was because I wanted to email my friend from Texas the article below and then realized I didn't have his email address. (doh!) So then I thought "hey! I can post in my blog about this!"
And so I did.
Dani Do It.

Tomorrow I will post an update about my life as promised in my Starting Over post.

Update 9:37am:
So I have a friend in Texas who worries about what to do with his life, or what he wants to be when he grows up. I went through a similar problem when I first got out of college. As a kid I wanted to be all sorts of things. Teacher, doctor, rock star, veterinarian, actress, and many more things. When you are a kid, it's pretty easy to go through life. You don't have to figure out the next step because most of it is figured out for you. You go to school, you finish. Next grade. Until you graduate high school. After high school you get one of four choices (usually): go to college, join the military, get a job, or move to Hollywood/New York City and realize your dream of becoming an actor/rockstar/artist/whatever.
I chose college. So the next step was pretty easy as well. Graduate college.
After four years I did and then I stood around thinking now what?
So I got a job (one of the first ones I was offered) and entered the work force. But I felt completely lost, like I didn't know where I was going or what I was doing.

10 years later. I have had multiple jobs trying to decide "what I am going to do when I grow up." And you know what? I still don't know. But now I am okay with that. Instead I explored different jobs until I found one that I really enjoy doing and other than that, I live my life.
I spent a few years being single (and I really enjoyed that!) but then I met the love of my life and all of a sudden, I had direction again.
My new direction was a family. All of a sudden I had goals and wanted things again. I wanted marriage (got it!), a house (condo...almost a house), a dog (got one!), and kids (working on it!).

But the thing I learned throughout the past 10 years was that it's okay to not have a goal or a direction. It's okay to be a floater and just go through life being happy. It's also okay to be someone who HAS to have a goal. And maybe the purpose and goal of your life is to figure out what that goal is...and then achieve it.

Above all I believe in trying to do good deeds. You never know where you may influence someone who will go on to do something huge to impact the world around us. Until then, you should try to impact your own little world and let it spread from there.

Above all, my point is this: It's okay if you don't know what you want to be when you grow up. Most people don't know.
**********************************************************************

I read this great article this morning (I love the internet!) and it had the following:


"By what age should you know what you want to do with your life?

Any moment now. This used to be a question the young asked. Now it's a quandary for baby boomers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that younger boomers have abandoned the American ideal of picking a job and sticking with it. Between the ages of 18 and 36, these boomers held an average of 9.6 jobs. That's a lot of exploration. The wisdom of elders in all cultures seems to be this: There's nothing to do with a life but live it. As Gandhi pointed out, "Almost anything you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.""

I will write more on my thoughts about this later, but I wanted to share it. I have felt "lost" most of my young adult life, especially after college, not knowing what I wanted to do with my life. I will share what I have learned in a second post or an update later.

The rest of the article can be found here:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/answered-lifes-25-toughest-questions-1453059/

No comments:

Post a Comment