Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Diet & Exercise

So far I have lost 30 pounds. I get loads of compliments on how I look (yay!) and it feels great. I have also realized that I now weigh about what I weighed in college, which is awesome. I still want to lose another 10-15 pounds though and I seem to be stuck on a plateau. I'm hoping that will change in the next few weeks.

This week, all my posts will be dedicated to how I have lost the 30 pounds. Loads of people have asked me "How did you do it?".

Well, there isn't a secret. No special diet. No pill. No specific workout plan.
The short answer is diet and exercise. I lost this weight the old-fashioned way.

Weight loss comes down to this, burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. I'm serious, this really works. A few good sources of information that will help you out are available on the web. I'm a big fan of the Biggest Loser website and Jillian Michael's website. (If you want links, let me know and leave a note in the comments)

Now, there are definitely other things that helped me along the way. There definitely is a much much much longer answer than diet and exercise. I'm going to do my best this week to go over everything I have learned that worked for me. Again, I want to emphasize, this is stuff that works FOR ME. It might not work for you. Each of our bodies are very special individual machines. We work almost the same way but with little things that make us unique.

You need to find what works for YOU. Over the past 10 years I have worked with different doctors, nutritionists, physical trainers, health counselors, and other instructors. I have tried almost every diet out there. Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, South Beach, Lean Cuisine, the grapefruit diet, etc etc etc. It took me a long time to find what works for me. It may take you a while as well.

I hope that my posts this week inspire you to find what works for you to live a healthy lifestyle. I also want to take this moment to ask that you set yourself realistic weight goals. Not every body is supposed to be super skinny. Jillian Michaels even addresses this issue on her website. She says that the human body will naturally want an additional 10 pounds on our body than what we think we should have. She calls the final 10 pounds vanity pounds. She said we want to lose those last 10 pounds to get our "ideal" body weight because that is what society and fashion models has taught us our bodies should look like.

Unless you are a professional athlete, your body is supposed to be a little "soft".
Even Jillian says that her weight will fluctuate 10 pounds depending upon her schedule.

So...get ready. This week I will share all of my "secrets" to my success. These really aren't secrets though....just good old fashioned diet (eat healthy natural foods!) and exercise (get off your butt and sweat!).

Tuesday - Food and Diet (eww...who wants a diet? I don't.)
Wednesday - Exercise (let's get sweaty!)
Thursday - The BodyBugg
Friday - topic to be determined.

And one more note. I am not a doctor. I am not a nutritionist or any other kind of "professional". Do not start any diet or exercise plan without first consulting with your health professional yada yada yada. I'm only sharing what I did, not giving instructions to anyone else on what to do. You are on your own. Which is how we all feel anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment