Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Extras

Hey everyone - As promised, here is a typical daily menu for myself.   Most days I have Kashi GoLean for breakfast, but this menu includes a stop at Dunkin Donuts.  I did that for two reasons.  One, I want people to see that you can still eat out when trying to lose weight.  Two, the day I wrote this up, I was running late and didn't get to eat my cereal.  I was writing this up for a friend who wanted to know what I was eating that day.  This was very truthful to what I had that particular day.  (June 16, 2010)

1 cup 2% milk 122 calories (over-estimated, I have just under a cup)
1/4 cup of prunes 102 calories (approximate, I hope an over-estimate)
1 Dunkin Donuts Wake up wrap with bacon 200 calories
1 large unsweetened iced tea, 9.6 calories
Breakfast total is 433.6 calories

1 serving of FAGE plain greek yogurt 2% 150 calories
2 teaspoons of cinnamon 11.8 calories (over-estimated, I use less)
1 tablespoon of honey 63.8 calories  (over-estimated, I use less)
AM Snack total is 225.6 calories

4.5 ounces of grilled chicken breast 210.5 calories
1.5 item cucumber 58.7 calories (over-estimated, it's a big cucumber)
1.5 tablespoons of italian dressing (marinade on chicken, I'm guessing on amount) 103 calories
Lunch total is 372.2 calories

1/3 cup of dried pineapple 130 calories
Afternoon Snack total is 130 calories

1 Cup of Kashi Golean cereal is 160 calories
1/2 cup of milk, 2% is 61 calories
1 tablespoon of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter is 90 calories
Dinner total is 311 calories

End of day total is 1472.4 calories.
You might notice that my biggest meal is breakfast and then my meals and snacks get smaller from there.
If anyone wants another example of a menu with as many details, just let me know.

Today I am having:
Breakfast, KashiGoLean Cereal, Milk, prunes
Morning Snack, Fage 2% yogurt with blueberries
Lunch, Arnolds Sandwich Thins, Skippy Natural Peanut Butter, Salad greens, cucumber, 2oz Cheddar Cheese, 2 tablespoons of italian dressing
Afternoon Snack, dried cranberries, Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge, Mary's Gone Crackers
Dinner - I'm not sure yet, since I will be on the road.  It will likely be another Peanut Butter Sandwich.
If anyone wants calorie totals, let me know.

What else have I done that has helped me lose weight?

I'm a visual person, I like the rewarding feeling of seeing something accomplished. When you are losing weight, it isn't all that easy to see the changes.  For example, when I look in the mirror, I don't think I look any different than I did 30 pounds ago.  I'm not saying that I think I am fat.  What I am saying is that 30 pounds ago I would look in the mirror and think "not bad!  Looking good!".   I must have really great self-esteem.  It really wasn't until I looked at a picture of myself that I saw the extra weight.    So what can you do for a visual?  Some people keep track with a chart or write down their measurements.  I did two things.
One:  We have a Nintendo Wii Fit.  I started doing a daily Body Test and tracked my weight there.  It will keep track of your weight on a graph.  I have this going back almost two years now.  It is SO cool to see where my weight used to be (really high! In the "obese" section) and to see where it is now.  (Overweight!  Whoo hoo!  Whoever knew I would be excited to be overweight? hahaha!)
Two:  Remember when you were a kid in school and they had charts where they would add a sticker (usually a star) for a job well done on something?  I made myself something equivalent at work.  It's a post-it note.  I made little boxes on it.  From 175 pounds down to 130 pounds.  And as I lost each pound, I would check off a box.  If I gained or maintained, I didn't get to check any more boxes, I had to wait to "earn" another box.
I don't know if that would work for everyone, but it works great for me!  I look at it almost every day and I can see how far I have come.  Right now I have 30 boxes checked off.  I'm working on that 31st.

I also make a new post-it with each weight goal I want to get to.  For example, I currently have a post it stuck to my pen cup that says "140, You Can Do It!".

What else do I do to lose weight?  Well, everything that common sense and doctor's tell you to do.
I stopped watching one of my favorite shows, The Biggest Loser, because it was on so late.  I go to bed early and try my best to get 8 hours of sleep a night.   I drink a LOT of water.  Keep an aluminum bottle (plastic tastes gross if it has been sitting for too long) everywhere you go to keep drinking water.  I have a water bottle at work, one for the gym and class and another I keep in my bedroom.   Water, water, water.  I also avoid drinking my calories.  Soda, juice (just eat the fruit!), and alcohol.  These are just empty calories and I almost always get bloated or gain after having these items.  My one exception is milk.  I drink unsweetened tea like it's going out of business.  Seriously...I need to cut down on that addiction.
(Try Dunkin Donuts Iced tea, no sugar, with lemon OR McDonalds unsweetened tea, with lemon.) 
Be sure to add the lemon, it cuts the bitterness of the tea. 
I have also started brewing my own iced tea at home, want tips?  Let me know!  There is a secret to cutting the bitter taste of tea while brewing, you don't need lemons.

I also eat loads of vegetables and I fill up on fiber.  In fact, I probably get about 60% more than the daily fiber recommendations.  This is because I have some digestive issues, I won't get into it here. :)

One last thing.  I want to repeat that I am NOT a doctor.  I am not a trainer.  I am in no way authorized to help anyone with weight loss.  I simply wanted to share the information on what I have done that has helped me.   Please consult with a doctor about what your ideal weight should be.  BMI charts don't always get the whole picture.

For example, according to the BMI charts, my ideal weight should be 112 pounds.  I would need to lose an additional 33 pounds to weigh that much.  That is a little crazy, there wouldn't be anything left to me!  I have discussed my weight with my doctor and the agreed upon weight is 130 pounds.  This still puts me in the overweight category for most charts, however, my doctor has requested that I do not go below that weight without consulting a doctor first.  I think that is reasonable.  Find your own reasonable weight.

The nice thing about humans?  We are all unique and are meant to be different.  We are meant to be different sizes, shapes, colors, heights, etc.  One "standard" doesn't work for all.   Also remember that the female body is meant to have some additional fat to it.  It helps our hormones and bodies function properly.

Be healthy.  Be happy.  Don't get obsessed.  (I need to remind myself of that on occasion.)

And...if Dani Can Do it.....so can you!  You CAN DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment