Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

I drive like a maniac.

According to my husband, I drive like a maniac.

I disagree, but I won't get into that for now. I told him that I considered myself to be an assertive (okay, okay, maybe a little aggressive) driver. I am a very safe driver. I haven't had an accident that was my fault since I was 17 years old.

We got into this discussion while going to the store the other day to get Oscar some food and pepto bismol. My car was more convenient to take and I wanted to drive anyway. I had been complaining to Anthony that my car was making a strange new noise. He had already driven my car a few times and told me it was nothing to worry about. Our conversation on the way to the store went something like this:

(I apologize now if it isn't exactly verbatim, this was a few days ago.)

Me: Can you hear that noise? It's getting louder.
Anthony: Your car is old, it's an old car noise.
Me: If we called those "Car Guys" on the radio, what would they say?
Anthony: They would come up with something, but trust me, your car is fine, it's just old.
Me: How come it's worse and louder in the morning?
Anthony: Because it's cold, you need to let it warm up.
Me: How come it only happens when I press on the accelerator?
Anthony: Because gas is going through the engine and lots of things are happening. Did you notice that when you don't accelerate too hard the noise is quieter?
Me: What are you saying?
Anthony: You drive like a maniac.
Me: I do not!

We go into Shaws, grab what we need for Oscar and head back to the car.

Me: Do I really drive like a maniac?
Anthony: Just a little.
 Silence.
Me (again): Should I drive more like you?
Anthony: Maybe.

At this point I started to drive in an exaggerated version of how Anthony drives. I like to tease him that he drives like an old man. He is never in a hurry (and he's frequently late for things...his whole family is...) and he takes his time wherever he goes. He also likes to take the long way to get somewhere. Sometimes he explains this by saying he doesn't like to make left hand turns.

I think he just likes driving so much that he wants to spend as much time as he can doing it. Going the long way and driving slowly to get there drives ME crazy.

So I slow down. Waaaaayyyyy doooowwwwwn. I turn very slowly onto our road. I have leaned back into my seat a bit. I'm acting like I have all the time in the world to get to my destination. I'm smiling because I think I am funny.

I sneak a quick glance at him.  He is also smiling.

And then he leans over to me and says "Did you notice that noise is gone?".

**************************************************
I hate it when he's right, and he frequently is.  I posted another time about him being right about something.
It was a story about fish.  And a cat.  You can find it here:

2 comments:

Jo said...

Always document when your husband is right, it doesn't happen that often. :)

Ronja said...

You do drive like a maniac and he drives like an old man ;-)

Post a Comment