Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

In defense of my failure.

Unlucky for you, my faithful readers, I didn't find anything interesting to write about today.

So instead you get a "Defense of Why I Failed My Exam."

The Server+ exam is currently being offered in two different versions.  There is a 2005 Objectives and a 2009 Objectives.  When I signed up for the exam, I discussed which exam to take with my manager.  We agreed that it was better to have the latest and greatest certification.   Unfortunately, there weren't any study materials available.  I was able to find ONE book after a lot of digging, but I couldn't find any reviews on it and it cost almost $70.  So the only study materials I had were for the 2005 Objectives.  I didn't think this would be a big deal though, I mean, how different could the exams be?   You basically need to know the server hardware, recovery, backups, and troubleshooting theories.

Turns out that was my mistake, I should have realized that technology changes a lot from day to day, and that there was a lot of change between 2005 and 2009.   Some of the questions I faced on the exam, I had NO idea what they were talking about.   Now that could be a part of the "10 questions" they ask just to see how you will answer them, or it could have been information I am supposed to know.

So I would say my first mistake was to assume I would be able to pass the 2009 exam while using the 2005 study materials.

My second mistake was this, and this one makes me feel stupid.  On the Comptia website, you can print out the objectives for each exam.  This is a summary of the information you will be tested on.   I printed out the 2009 objectives.  I should have printed out BOTH the 2005 and the 2009 and done a line by line comparison so that I would know exactly what study material I was missing.  I should have done this.

Lucky for me, I have a very understanding manager and he has agreed to let me take the older version (2005) to try and pass this certification.   He is probably willing to do that because we have lots of old equipment here at work anyway.  It isn't like I would be actually working with the new stuff anyway.

Seriously, we have Windows 98 on the majority of the pc's in one of our offices.   Good thing my mom put me on a PC as soon as I was old enough to play with one without breaking one!  I was familiar with 98 and was able to work with these PC's with no problem.  

Does anyone remember Windows 3.11?  I actually had to use that in college!  My partners on my IQP project stared at the PC given to us and didn't know what to do.  I took over.  :)



***IQP is a project done usually in your junior year at WPI, some students choose to do the project overseas, we went to Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment