Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Christopher Pike

As promised, here is an entry about one of my all-time favorite authors.  There are only two authors that I am attempting to read every single published piece they have out there.   Christopher Pike is one.  I'll write about the other one tomorrow.

I'm not sure when it was exactly that I first discovered Christopher Pike's work.  I don't have a specific memory, but I could definitely guess.  Around sixth grade I decided I didn't want to read Sweet Valley Twins anymore.  I now wanted to read Sweet Valley High.  It was a more "grown-up" version of the stories about the twins.  It took place in high school.  There was a sorority, cool cars and dating.  It was way cooler than the Sweet Valley Twins books.   I was probably in my favorite bookstore at a shopping plaza not far from my house.   This shopping plaza was not very close, but it was close enough that when I was older I could ride my bike there.  It also happened to be where my parents bought the majority of our groceries and I could usually ask to go to the bookstore while they were getting groceries and it would be okay.

I LOVED this bookstore.  In fact,  a crazy, "someday when I'm a millionaire and don't care about money" dream of mine is to own a bookstore.  I would love to run a bookstore with used and new books.  There is something very relaxing about being surrounded by books.  (yes, I love libraries!  support your local library!)

So I probably went to the bookstore to get a new Sweet Valley High book (they were a series) and they probably didn't have a new one released yet.  I was probably bored and decided to check out the other books in the Teen Section.  (wasn't young adult back then)  Since this was a small bookstore, the section I had to look at was also very small.   The Sweet Valley High books were written by Francine Pascal.  (who is actually a team of ghost writers).  Right next to Pascal, was Pike.  Christopher Pike's book, Slumber Party was there.  I believe this was one of his first novels.

Normally I don't like scary stuff.  I don't watch scary movies, I prefer Disney happy endings.  But this book got me curious.  I probably opened it to the first page and started reading, and got hooked.  I probably purchased the book and brought it home.

Christopher Pike's books were VERY popular when I was a teenager, I had many friends (and cousins) who also read his books.  I soon started a collection and would purchase his new books as soon as they came out.

I still do that to this day.  I have almost every single book he has written.  There are just a few left that I don't own.  His books usually have themes of horror, mystery, science fiction, and spirituality.  It is common to see themes from Eastern Hemisphere religions in his stories.

I really do enjoy all of his books, but if I had to pick my favorite, so far it would be "Season of Passage".

Here is a link to his fan site:
http://christopherpikefanclub.com/

Here is his official website (not ready yet, coming soon I guess): 
http://christopherpikebooks.com/

He is a reclusive person, there is not a lot of information out there about him.  But that's okay, I would rather read his stories and leave him alone.  I only hope that someday I can write stories as great as his.   That might mean dipping into some darker, deeper parts of the human soul than I prefer to go.

I do still love my Disney. :)

And to end today's post, I have officially "popped".  There is no hiding that I am pregnant now.   :)

1 comment:

Justin said...

I've not read any Pike books.

I imagine, though, that you might like William Sleator and John Christopher.

Both excellent "young adult" books. I would like to own everything by those two because everything by them I have read has been fantastic.

Post a Comment