Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Things I have learned about pregnancy.

I'm taking a break from the author posts to bring you some insider information on pregnancy.  Or at least some insider information on my pregnancy.   I have learned a few things that I didn't know before I got pregnant, so I thought I would share them with you.    (lucky you huh?)

1.  Number one and most important.  You have no idea what pregnancy is like until you go through it.  I think you can relate, have empathy or be sympathetic, but you really have NO idea what it's like until you go through it.

2.  It's a lot of fun to talk to women who are either going through it or have been through it, even if it was 30 years ago.  Because you have finally joined a special club and you now have something else in common with that woman that you didn't have before.

3.  It will bring you closer to your mom.  Like you have no idea.  You all of a sudden have a new bond.  :)
(hi mom!)

4.  One minute you are not hungry.  Two minutes later you are hungry.  30 seconds later YOU HAVE TO EAT NOW OR YOU WILL DIE.  There is no warning.  Carry snacks.

5.  I once was a light sleeper.  Now I can sleep through anything.  Seriously.  My husband once had friends over, they went out to a band practice, came home, had beers and then he went to bed.  I slept through the whole thing.  In fact, the only reason I knew that happened was because he casually mentioned the band the next day.  Our conversation went like this:
Him:  "blah blah blah...band practice."
Me: "Hmm, what?  when did you go see his band?"
Him: "Last night."
Me: "You did?  When?"
Him: "I had so-and-so over and then we went the band practice."
Me: "Really?"

I used to wake up if someone stood in my doorway and whispered my name!

6.  If you had a ahem, shy-bladder problem before, it goes away when you are pregnant.  When you gotta go, you gotta go.  Your bladder is no longer concerned that someone in the next stall might hear you pee.

7.  Where did the happy hormones come from?  I'm usually all bah-humbug about Christmas arriving early.  I get so annoyed when the radio stations start playing the holiday songs early.  Guess who has been listening to Christmas songs all week on the radio?  And singing along at the top of my lungs!  Bring it on!  I love all this mushy holiday cheer!

8.  When you are pregnant, you cry.  A lot.  At everything.  And you can't explain to anyone or even yourself why.  That baby looked at me!  I cried.  That was a happy song!  I cried.  That was a sad song!  I cried harder.   Aww...a cute fluffy kitten!  Tears.  They flow.  Just smile and look silly, it's okay.  Unless you aren't showing yet...then everyone thinks you are weird.

9.  Before you get pregnant and you run into people you know, they will ask: "How are you?".   Once you are pregnant, everyone now says:  "How are you feeling?"  And then they stare at your belly.  Which is weird.  Especially if you don't have one yet.

10.  And the last one for today.  (I'm sure I will post more things I learned later in my pregnancy.)
You are no longer in control of your body.  It belongs to someone else.  And at 5.5 months pregnant, this little creature only weighs in at one pound.  And it's in control.

But that's okay, it will be this way for the next 18 years.  Or the rest of my life.  Better get used to it! :)

And a bonus.  Your brain no longer functions.  Proofread everything.  I just had to correct about four spelling mistakes and three grammatical errors.  I'm sure there are more, I just didn't find them.  Like proofreading, is it spelled that way?  Or is it proof reading.  I'm not sure.   My brain no longer works.

Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment:

Marybeth @ AlarmClockWars said...

There was Christmas music playing on the radio here this weekend. I had a fit. And not a happy fit, like you. Come on... It's not even Thanksgiving yet!!

Post a Comment