Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The 9th Month

Today I am officially in my 9th month of pregnancy.  That's 36 weeks to those who are counting....and 28 days until my due date.

Wait?  What?  You mean women don't have babies at 9 months?  Yes that is true.  Technically, you are pregnant for 10 months.  I'm not sure who started that whole 9 month thing.  Maybe someone liked the number 9?   To calculate your due date they base it upon the first day of your last menstrual cycle.  So technically, you aren't even pregnant the first two weeks of your "pregnancy".    But they start there and count ahead 40 weeks.  That is your due date.  If you go past your due date, you are now in your 10th month.  So I am at the beginning of my 9th month.  Some people (like my mom) would rather say that I am 8 months pregnant, because it can be confusing to the general public who don't know how these things work.  I can understand that.   But now you read my blog and you have now been educated. :)
If someone says they are 36 weeks pregnant, they are 9 months pregnant.  Baby is due at 40 weeks, technically 10 months pregnant.

That seems like a long time doesn't it?  For me though, this has flown by.  Mostly because I didn't know I was pregnant the first month and half and also because I wasn't showing for a really long time.  I think I really started to feel pregnant at my baby shower.

So quick lesson for those that don't know:
4 weeks pregnant = 1 month pregnant (technically only about 2 weeks at this point)
8 weeks pregnant = 2 months
12 weeks pregnant = 3 months (usually safe to start telling everyone at this point, risk of miscarriage goes way down)
16 weeks = 4 months
20 weeks = 5 months (usually get your second ultrasound and can find out sex of the baby)
24 weeks = 6 months (that was Christmas time for me)
28 weeks = 7 months
32 weeks = 8 months
36 weeks = 9 months pregnant, baby is coming any day now
40 weeks = 10 months, baby is now due.
Most babies are born between 38-42 weeks.  This is because it isn't an exact science, guessing due dates.

I decided to give that brief lesson because it's one of the MANY things I didn't know until I got pregnant.   There are so many things that you don't find out about until it happens to you.  This is probably for a few reasons.  A) no one wants to scare you out of it.  (what happens to your body should definitely be included in sex education so that fewer teenagers will get pregnant...I really think it could work.)  and B)  You never ask about this stuff.  If you aren't pregnant, why would you need or want to know?

That's it for today.  If I have time, I will be posting a bonus post about some wacky dreams I have been having lately.  So check back this afternoon. 

2 comments:

Anne said...

It probably goes back to when women didn't know they were pregnant until after they were late, so the due date was 9 months later. To them, that's when the pregnancy "started" even though now we use 4 weeks (or so) earlier as the start time. I have no scientific evidence to back this up, just deductive reasoning.

Dani said...

That's a really good theory. :)

Post a Comment