Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

The IT Department and Aladdin

In the past I have compared my job to that of the Genie in the Disney movie, Aladdin.

I have famously quoted the Genie: "PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS.....itty bitty living space."
I like to say this because folks in the IT department have access to EVERYTHING in a company.  We manipulate all sorts of data, accounts, passwords, email, server access, backups, etc.  
See where I am going? 

But most of the time we live in cubes or a dark basement room or some tiny hole somewhere.

So therefore, we have lots of power and itty bitty work spaces.

But last week, I came up with another way we can be compared to the Genie in Aladdin.  I thought the first rule was that you can't wish for more wishes, so I was a little wrong there...but just go with it for a second. :)

There are three rules for making wishes with the Genie:

Rule #1:  I can't kill anybody.
Rule #2:  I can't make anybody fall in love with anybody else.
Rule #3:  I can't bring back people from the dead.

For making "wishes" with the IT department:
Rule #1:  You can't wish for more wishes.  In other words, you can't put in one help desk ticket, get an IT person to help you out and then constantly contact that person for additional help with other issues.  It doesn't work that way.  You need to put in another help desk ticket.  It's like the deli, you have to take a number and get in line.  And yes, unfortunately, we are that busy.

Rule #2:  We can't make anybody fall in love with anybody else.  In other words, if your hardware and/or software is not compatible, we can't force it to work.   We understand that on occasion we really do work some magic, but we cannot force incompatible computer stuffs to work together.  Especially outdated stuff.  There are no May-December relationships in the computer world.  This is how the computer hardware and software companies force you to buy new stuff.  Sorry we can't help. :(

Rule #3:  We can't bring back people from the dead.  This means we can't bring back your hard drive from the dead.  If it's a goner, it's gone.  We don't have magic stuff to obtain your files and pictures and movies and music.  Next time, be sure to back up all your data on an alternate hard drive or data storage device.  Now, there are companies out there that will try, but they don't guarantee they get anything for you and they will still charge a LOT of money.  So no miracles with dead hard drives. :(

So on that REAL first rule, We can't kill anybody. Let's forget the "people" part and go straight to computers.  We don't want to kill computers, we definitely don't kill them on purpose.  We are like computer doctors, we make it our goal to save computers as often as we can.  I promise we didn't kill your computer.

So that's it for my Genie comparisons.  For now.  I'm sure I will come up with more.  I feel like I should go watch that movie now...


Happy Monday everyone!

2 comments:

Justin said...

Well spoken. You should come and talk to my teachers.

Dani said...

I'm glad you liked it. :)

Post a Comment