Pages

Friday, March 04, 2011

Anonymous Driver on the Road

Someone commented on my blog this morning, they were referring to my "rant" the other day about health insurance.  Funny thing is, I could go on again about that today.

But instead, I want to keep today's post nice and light.

I have discovered that I am now nearly invisible on the road.  Or anonymous.  Nobody knows who I am anymore.  See,  I used to drive this bright yellow Chevy.  It was cute and sporty.  There weren't too many like it on the road, so if you saw one in an area where I was, chances were, it was me.  Now I drive a blue SUV that looks like everyone else.

This morning I was driving down the road to work.  (really it was a major highway)  I checked my rear view mirror and I saw a silver car that was the same make as my sisters.  I wondered briefly to myself if she had a sunroof because this car did as well.   Then I noticed the driver looked like a cute blonde.  My sister just so happens to be a cute blonde.  My sister also takes the same route as I do for work most of the time, so it isn't unusual for us to be on the road at the same time.

I decided to change lanes to give the driver a chance to pull up next to me.  As I did I noticed her license plate and recognizing a few letters, I was pretty sure it was her.   As the driver pulled up next to me, completely ignoring me (good job keeping your eyes on the road,  I probably should have done the same!) I realized that it WAS my sister.  I grinned like an idiot and waved.

She kept ignoring me and then passed me.

So I called her cell phone.  She cheerfully answered and I said "You don't know my car on the road anymore!" and she responded with "Oh!  Can you see me?  Where are you?"

I told her that she had just passed me and she said "oh yeah, I didn't realize that was you at all, all I knew was that there was an SUV in front of me with tinted windows and I hate that!"

We both thought it was pretty funny.

And I decided that if the weather is nice this weekend, I am going to ask my husband to put that sticker on my car.  We purchased a sticker for my car.  The one sticker it will have.  We got it to match the sticker on his car.   I'd give you a few more details about our cars and the stickers, but I wouldn't want anyone to recognize me.

I kinda like being an Anonymous Driver.

1 comment:

Marybeth @ AlarmClockWars said...

Would you believe I used to see Mick on route 80 on the way into Boston at least once a week when I drove in for vet school? Of all the chances...

Post a Comment