Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Help Dani Do It, help others with Cystic Fibrosis

What is the name of my blog?  Dani Do It!  And well, Dani has not done anything in a while.  Oh sure, my co-worker challenged me to complete all the Alphabet levels in the Labyrinth game on my new phone.  But I did that already, and he said it was too easy.  So now he wants me to complete ALL the levels.  But this is a game where I have to hold my phone level and well, I can't really do that while lying down.  Seriously, throw a challenge in front of me, I rarely back down.  And in this case, I have challenged myself...to do something I have never done before.

So here it is!  My great big reveal!  I am participating (well, actually Anthony and I and soon our baby) in a walk for Cystic Fibrosis.  Since I am lying around in bed all day (I kinda feel like a cat...) I figured I should make some good use of my time.  And then yesterday I got an email from a friend about this event.  And it hit me, this is what I should do!  Bug all my friends and family.  Completely take over my blog and pester my readers!  This is the part that I will DO while lying in bed.  The second part I will DO later in May.  Read on...

I have never participated in anything like this before.  This is totally new territory for me.  I have to admit, I don't usually donate to charities.  I have a select few that at select times of the year I will donate to.  But this time, it's different.  This one hits close to home. 

So without further ado....here is my shameless blog post plug for your attention and your generosity.

Anthony and I have decided to participate in The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's annual nationwide Great Strides walk.  We have joined Team "Viver's Givers" and will participate on May 15th at Southwick's Zoo in Mendon, MA.

What is Cystic Fibrosis?  CF is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of approximately 30,000 children and adults in the US.  In the 1950s, few children with cystic fibrosis lived to attend elementary school. Today, advances in research and medical treatments have further enhanced and extended life for children and adults with CF. Many people with the disease can now expect to live into their 30s, 40s and beyond.
For more information:  http://www.cff.org/great_strides/cffactsheet/

Why are Anthony and I participating in this?  Two Reasons:

1.  Anthony may be a genetic carrier for CF.  Anthony has family members who are carriers for CF.  Before I became pregnant, I had myself tested for CF to make sure I was not a carrier.  I am not.  But we have assumed that Anthony, like his family, is a carrier.

2.  Team Viver's Givers is headed by our friends Kerin and Jon Gregory, and their daughter Vivien, who has been diagnosed with CF.  For more information about Vivien:
http://www.cff.org/great_strides/KerinGregory
Be sure to check out this page, there is an adorable baby picture there. :)

Want to see an even cuter picture of Vivien?  Check out her Dad's page as well!
http://www.cff.org/great_strides/JonathanGregory

So what is it that I want exactly?  I would like you to get involved, donate or pass along this information.

Or you can choose to ignore.  Or delete my email if you got one.  Believe me, I understand that these things are not for everyone. 

But if you donate even just one dollar, you would totally make my day.
And I'm sure it would make Vivien's day as well.

There are three ways you can be involved:

1. You can contribute to our campaign and help us reach our goal of $150.  You can make a donation to us (cash or check made out to Cystic Fibrosis Foundation) and we will bring it with us on the day of the walk.   OR you can donate here on our webpage: 
http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/DanielleVello  Click on the "Click to Donate" button.

2. You can join us at Southwick's Zoo on Sunday, May 15th.  Your $20 donation on that day will let you join the walk.
http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/dsp_WalkInformation.cfm?walkid=7056
(Please let us know if you are joining, we will add you to the list of walkers for Team Viver's Givers!)

3. You can join Team Viver's Givers and raise money as well.
http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/DanielleVello click on the "Join my Team" button

Feel free to share my blog post with anyone who may be willing to support this cause.  I really appreciate all of my readers taking the time to read this today.  :)

I'll be back on Monday with more regularly scheduled types of postings....unless I'm having a baby or just feeling too lazy to write.  Typing while lying sideways in bed is very difficult!

Need more info?
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is the primary sponsor of critical research that is making tremendous advances toward a cure and control for CF.  For more information about The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation:
http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/

No comments:

Post a Comment