Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's the Final Countdown!

It's the final countdown!
The final countdown.
oh, oh...

You can thank me for having that song in your head now.  And if you want to listen to it, you may travel here to the official Youtube video:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

I have less than a week until my due date, six days to go!  So it's the final countdown and I have had that song in my head all morning, so now you can too.  In fact, I need to get this song for my iTunes if I don't have it already.  Then I can add it to my list of songs that I may potentially listen to during labor.  (Anyone else do this?)  They (the people teaching my class and every book and blog and website I have read) recommend having some music to listen to during labor to soothe you.  I think for myself,  I would want to listen to the same music I listen to during kickboxing.   I keep hearing that it's called "labor" for a reason, so if it's going to be a bunch of work, I would rather listen to something that keeps my heart pumping.

So speaking of labor, I experienced false labor yesterday.  At least I *think* I did.  I had contractions (Braxton-Hicks) all day and evening yesterday.  I didn't panic because I had read about it and my doctor told me about it and all my classes and all my friends.  (How's that for a run-on sentence?)  But they were not that far apart and they didn't seem to be stopping, plus I had some mild cramping.  It did make me momentarily panic, but I remembered what the doctor said.   She told me that if I lie down, or change positions they might stop.  And she also told me that if I could sleep through it, it wasn't labor.  So Oscar and I settled in to the couch and I fell asleep.  And they stopped.  Phew!

It did make me think though...my worst fear throughout this whole thing?  That I will skip labor and just go straight into delivering the baby with no warning.  That I won't be like most first time mamas who labor for hours (or days) and then give birth.   My co-worker forwarded me this CNN article this morning: 
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/18/delivering.baby.levs/index.html?iref=obinsite

After reading this article, I felt more calm.  And it was a nice reminder about the baby getting oxygen through the umbilical cord.  (I had been taught that, but I forgot.)  And I realized that if my greatest nightmare came true...I don't have to panic.  I'll be too busy.  Anthony will have to panic.  :)

Which of course he won't, because he is the calmest, most rational person I know.

And in relation to my post yesterday, here is an article from Yahoo about the dogs in Japan and it confirms that the dogs were rescued and brought to a shelter.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/dog-in-japan-stays-by-the-side-of-its-ailing-friend-in-the-rubble

(and thanks goes out to the blogger who found that before me and allowed me to post something before Yahoo, which makes me feel like a cool kid. :) )

The final countdown is more real to me today than it has been in the past few weeks.  Today is my last day working in our main office location.  Starting tomorrow, until the baby arrives, I will be working in one of our remote offices that is located closer to the hospital.  While I am out on maternity leave, our office is being renovated.  This means cubes are coming down, carpet is being ripped up, walls painted, etc.  This also means that everyone's cubes and desks have to be packed up.  EVERYTHING.  Not even a paperclip can be left behind.

So as I prepare for my maternity leave, my cube has been emptied.  My personal items have been brought home.  I have handed off work to those who will be doing the work while I am out.  Projects are being wrapped up and completed.  And my boss teases me that I may not come back to work after the baby is born.  I really feel like I am leaving and "will things ever be the same again?  It's the final countdown!"

Well, if I have anything to say about it, ....to quote the Terminator:  "I'll be back."   :)

3 comments:

Chris said...

You have no choice but to come back! ;)

Marybeth @ AlarmClockWars said...

I think you should leave a paperclip in the office. What are they going to do, fire a new mother over a paperclip? I doubt it. I bet they don't even notice. Hey - maybe hide one somewhere, and see if it is still there after the renovations are done!

Dani said...

Marybeth - haha...I would leave one behind, but I have already left! Oh well. :)

Post a Comment