Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

The Continuing Musical Education of my Baby

This evening we watched "Fight for Your Right (Revisited)" by the Beastie Boys on Hulu.  Anthony and I both like the Beastie Boys, it's one of the few music groups we agree on actually.   And when we heard about this video, we put it down on our to do list.  I'll admit, it came before getting the laundry done or cleaning the house.

So they created a video that shows what happens after the party on the "Fight for Your Right" video.  Zoe watched it with us.  Or at least she stared at the bright lights and colors on the computer monitor.  And I waved her hands around to the beat of the music.  (I was hoping to keep her awake so she would sleep tonight...no such luck.)  I think tomorrow we will need to rock it out to the Beastie Boys Greatest Hits on my iPod in the car while we run errands. :)

After this, we will move on to Queen and maybe some Abba.  With all the amazing music out there, why listen to so called "kids" music?  Show tunes may have to be next week.  The Wicked soundtrack is pretty amazing.  :)

I do need to get out all the non-appropriate music soon though, before she starts picking up on all the naughty words.  Then again, just because she sings the songs, doesn't mean she knows what it says.

When I was around 10 years old, my dad had a cassette tape of Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation album.  To this day, this album is one of my all time favorite things to listen to.  I think around that same time we also had Madonna's True Blue album.  I knew every word to every song.  It wasn't until I was older that I realized what I was singing about with "Rag Doll" and "Papa Don't Preach".   In fact, with "Papa Don't Preach" my mom had to tell me what it was about.  When I was in my twenties.  Yep, I was convinced she wanted to "keep her baby" and that she was talking about her boyfriend, not an actual baby.

I hope Zoe stays as innocent as I did for as long as I did.  My parents did a good job with me, I hope I can do the same.

2 comments:

Lana said...

Our 8 year old was listening to "our" music in the car and said, "Hey! Isn't that ABCD?" It was "Back in Black" and that was close enough. :-) Rock ON!

Dani said...

NICE!

Post a Comment