Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hey Baby.

My husband and I call each other babe.  Usually something like "Hey babe, what do you want to watch tonight?".

This drives my mom nuts.  She hates that we call each other "babe".  To her, it sounds derogatory. She doesn't like hearing my husband call her daughter "babe".   This is funny to me since I call my husband babe as well.  When I thought about it, I guess it's the equivalent of someone calling me "chick" which I found offensive in junior high.    Maybe I should say "Hey chick" to my husband instead?  In high school and college, chick became "chica" and "chickie" as a pet name to some of my female friends.  I still use it when writing them emails.  "Hey chica" is a popular way for me to start my emails.

So this past weekend Anthony and I were looking at a duplex to rent and when we left, I was walking in front of him.  I heard behind me "Hey baby." and I said "hey baby" right back.  Then Anthony said, "I wasn't talking to you."

I was walking ahead of him, carrying Zoe in her carrier.  She was facing him and looking at him, so he said to her: "Hey baby."  Which works since she is a baby.

I think this is the end of "babe". My husband either has to learn my name or come up with something else.  In fact, I can't remember the last time my husband actually used my name unless he was talking to someone else about me.  I think this is because he doesn't like that my nickname sounds like a boys name.  This even came up this past weekend when our friend Jamie who married us told us how his mom thought he was performing a gay marriage.  He had to explain that Dani was a girl. :)  I use Anthony's name all the time....he doesn't really use my name.  So he needs to come up with something else for me.

Or stop calling the baby "baby". :)

4 comments:

JoAnne said...

This is going to be very interesting. It sounded like you were talking about dad and me! He has never liked my nickname for the exact same reason that Anthony doesn't like yours. He, your Dad, doesn't really use my name either.

I will be following this closely. can't say I'm sad to hear the bebe, go bye bye

Marybeth @ AlarmClockWars said...

Hee hee... This reminded me of when you were dating Dana... Hard to keep straight that Dani was the GIRL and Dana was the GUY!!

John never uses my name either... Maybe he forgot it?

Dani said...

I told Anthony he can start calling me "Hey Mama" or "Hey Baby Mama" but that I would really prefer "Hey Hot Mama". :)

Lana said...

:-)

Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

Post a Comment