Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Harry Potter Movie Marathon

Starting with movie number 4 (or was it 5?) I started hosting Harry Potter Movie Marathon parties.  We would stay up as late as we could and spend the majority of the weekend watching the movies.  My very first party we painted our living room at the same time.  (note, this was a bad idea, don't make your friends paint your house (do work while a movie is on), paint gets everywhere and we would rather have watched the movie anyway)

The next party I didn't make my friends do any work.  :)  I got REALLY into this party.  I asked everyone to dress up as their favorite character or a witch or wizard.  If someone came as themselves, they were a muggle.  We made food themed from the movies and books.  My sister even made labels for the soda bottles so they said stuff like "Butterbeer" and "Fire Whisky".   My cousin made pumpkin pasties, someone brought cauldron cakes.

As you can tell, we got REALLY into it.  My last party was in November 2010.  I had some decorations and chocolate frogs, but it was a more low-key affair.  I was also pregnant at the time.  And everytime I heard the score music for Harry Potter, the baby would kick inside of me.

When we were at the theater seeing Part 1 of the Deathly Hallows, during exciting scenes and again, hearing the score, she would kick again.  I told Anthony that the baby liked Harry Potter.

Well, I'm not really sure, but I may have my proof!

This weekend, even though we are packing and moving, I started my movie marathon in anticipation for the last movie.  I am not having an official party because we are way too disorganized and cluttered to have company over for a party.  So I am marathon-ing (did I just create a verb?) by myself, but not really.  Anthony keeps getting distracted from his work to come watch.  (oops! :))  And Zoe is watching too.

Yes, you read that right, my three month old is WATCHING Harry Potter.  I think.  She stares at the TV.  She seems to be paying attention.  Is she absorbing what is going on?  She STARES at the TV.

We don't watch a lot of television.  To give you an idea, I honestly can't remember the last thing we sat down and watched.  Maybe the last episode of this season's Raising Hope?  (Love that show!)  But we don't ever turn on the tv.  We don't watch the news (we have the internet for the latest news!) and we don't check the weather. (again, internet)  Most of what we watch is movies or is available online.  (we love to watch old seasons of things, then we don't have to wait for the next episode.)

So I don't know if it's the novelty of the TV being on, or if she is just staring at the bright colors?  (HP movies don't really have bright colors....lots of dark stuff...)  Or maybe she just enjoys the movies?  I don't know what to think of it.  But really, you should see her watch it, you can't even distract her or get her attention once the movie is on. (believe me, Anthony has tried!)

I won't make her NOT watch, since Mama is watching I think it is only fair that we hang out together. (until bedtime of course)  We'll see how she enjoys tonight's selection.  Movies 1-4 done, three more to go before I get to see the last one on Thursday.

Yes, you also read that right, I am lucky enough to see a sneak preview on Thursday (not at midnight, phew!).

And oh yeah, lucky enough to have great friends willing to babysit!  As much as I think Zoe might actually sit through a movie, I won't do that to the other patrons of the movie.  Just in case she decides 7 movies are way more Harry Potter than she ever needs. :)

1 comment:

Remby said...

Awesome! Did you read the books aloud to her yet? Never too young to start! =)

Post a Comment