Pages

Thursday, August 04, 2011

The Lonely Mile by Al Leverone

I'm writing a book review for you, my readers.  I want to highly recommend a book by an author who's blog I follow.  I follow his blog because he is a former co-worker of my parents and they told me about his website.  I started following what he was doing because I think that authors are fascinating and any chance to "get into the mind" of one would be interesting.  Plus I just greatly admire anyone who has been able to complete writing a story (something I have never done) and get it published (something I may never do). 

I aspire to do those things someday.  BUT, I may have another dream I wasn't even all that aware of, until I read his current book, The Lonely Mile.  I think I would like to be a book critic.  I read this book, even though it wasn't something I would normally read, and I enjoyed writing a review for it.  Now maybe I enjoyed writing the review, because I enjoyed the book, but I could see myself enjoying writing reviews of books.  I read pretty fast and I think that I am a decent writer.  Well, I get plenty of practice on this blog. :)


Here is what I wrote about The Lonely Mile:
Thriller that keeps you turning the page!
This is not the kind of book I would normally pick up. I follow the author's blog and he posted a few chapters from the book on his blog...and of course, I got hooked! Once I downloaded this book, I had a difficult time doing anything besides finishing the story. My heart was pounding with each entry he posted and I just had to find out what would happen next. This story is the kind that gives you nightmares and makes you want to hold your children close. There was a twist that I didn't see coming and the ending wraps up nicely, but may have left the door open for more? I don't think the author plans any sequels but I could see this story launching a series into exploring the FBI and stopping the psychos that haunt our nightmares. This book is a great read for anyone looking for a thriller novel. I would even recommend it to people who don't normally read this genre, as the story hooked me though I normally like "happy" stories. I also think this book would make for an interesting book club discussion as there are many layers of the story and the characters to dissect. The subject matter is dark and mature, but also kept clean. I wouldn't let my 12 year old read this, but I think an older teenager could handle it.
Even when I wasn't reading this book, I was thinking about the book. About which direction the story would go. What would the characters do? What would I do if I were in that situation? I just couldn't stop thinking about it and even now that I have finished the story, I still keep thinking about it. A good read, highly recommended.
 This book is available as a digital download for only $2.99 at both Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  I have it on my nook and it can be lended out to someone if you are interested....BUT, I highly recommend buying it.  The reason for that is because it is inexpensive and I would like to support this author.  :)  So let me know if you want to borrow it, or go buy it for yourself.

PLUS....have I mentioned yet there is a contest?  Sign up for his mailing list.  Purchase his book.  Write an honest review before August 13th and you could win an autographed book from another author.  :) 
Neat huh?

I have a link on my blog here to Al's blog, but here are the links to everything you need:

Al Leverone's Blog:
(he has posted chapters 1-9 if you want to get hooked on this story before purchasing.)
http://allanleverone.blogspot.com/

Buy it at Barnes and Noble:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-lonley-mile-allan-leverone/1104328433

Buy it at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Lonely-Mile-ebook/dp/B005DAX06I

Al's website:
http://www.allanleverone.com/

So someone looking at my reviews on the two websites (Amazon and B&N) might wonder why I gave it four stars and not five.  Well, that is because there was one part at the end that bugged me and I couldn't let it go.  I felt the story was a little rushed in some areas, but at the same time I was happy there wasn't any filler.  It's fast and you will finish it quickly.  I think I just wanted one part to be slightly different...I won't go into details with YOU because I don't want to ruin anything with spoilers.  But I felt like I could be a little more honest with my readers about that missing star.  I didn't include that on my official reviews on the websites because I wanted to recommend the book and not retract from it at all.  I want to encourage a purchase of this book.

I have Al's other book, The Final Vector, and I will be reviewing that one as soon as I am done as well.

Happy Thursday everyone!

1 comment:

Al Leverone said...

Hi Dani, and thanks very much for reading and reviewing my work!

Post a Comment