Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Blogger Fodder

I finished that website for pictures of Zoe.  Send me a note if you want access!

And now I have plenty to write about...(that is why this post is called "Blogger Fodder" I may be able to write about this all week!)

So what's new?  Well, we have been without power since Saturday evening.  We were hit by the "Snowtober" Noreaster.  Fun fun!  We are learning to get around things like running water (we have a well), no heat and no electricity.  So far, it hasn't been all that bad.

Anthony got out some of our giant stock pots and we filled them with snow and put them on our gas stove (yay for lighters and gas stoves!) With the water heating up and our attempt to heat the house with a fireplace, we got the house up to 70 degrees and humid!  (which was great for my head cold that also appeared at the same time as the storm.)   We aren't sure about the fireplace though.  It seems to be just for looks.  It doesn't seem to produce that much heat, but maybe we just don't know what we are doing?  It has glass door things on it and we can't figure out if they are supposed to be open or closed.  If we open it, sometimes we get smoke in the house.  Eventually we will figure it out.

Because we have well water, we were well prepared for drinking water.  We have a few large bottles of water ready for us to drink.  Which is a good thing as we need it for all of us, making formula and Oscar appreciates some drinking water too.

So all we are really living without is the electricity.  Candlelight and firelight is fun, but it was an early bedtime for all of us last night.  Which I probably needed anyway with my head cold.  And even though I'm still waking up in the middle of the night (and Zoe didn't...) I still feel like I got a really good night's sleep last night.  The gentle hum of my neighbors generators didn't hurt either. :)

The only concern I have now, is the food.  We have a deep freezer in the garage, I'm hoping it stays cold enough to keep that food frozen.  And the fridge in the house.  We haven't opened it yet.  But we probably should today to get the food outside in coolers with the snow. 

We will probably lose the food in the house.  Bummer.  We had some good food in there.

So the power company says to expect a few days, possibly a week without power!  Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Lana said...

Have your fireplace checked out after all this craziness. It probably does work, but if smoke is coming in, that is NOT good, and it may need cleaned. Many house fires start from a clogged chimney! Be careful, and since I am reading backwards, your electricity will be on very soon! ;-)

Post a Comment