Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Brussel Sprouts

Did you know that I like brussel sprouts?

I didn't know I liked brussel sprouts.  But apparently I do!  Growing up we didn't eat weird vegetables like brussel sprouts, cauliflower or broccoli.  (I know, these are not weird vegetables.)  We ate carrots, peas, corn, green beans, wax beans and on occasion, spinach.  All from a can.  I will have to let a family member correct me if I am wrong, but those were the ones I could remember off the top of my head while I write this blog post on the fly. :)

So why am I eating brussel sprouts? (by the way, I was having much difficulty trying to find the right spelling of this vegetable, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.  I even looked it up on dictionary.com and they couldn't find it. odd.)

I am eating them as part of my cleanse diet for 10 days.  I am doing this cleanse not as a way to lose weight, but as a way to rid my body of toxins and to start with a "clean slate" for my diet.  The diet will be the real way I am going to eat to lose weight, which will be pretty much exactly what I did before but with less cheating.  Less cheating because I am not working out as hard as I used to and I don't see myself working out harder in the foreseeable future.  I just can't afford (time or money) to go back to kickboxing. :(

I do miss kickboxing.  sigh.

So anyway, I am doing this cleanse.  I am doing this with the guidance of my health counselor that I worked with before.  We started with a webinar that explained why we were doing this and it was basically a 2 hour biology lesson.  The cleanse consists of supplements and protein shakes (to make up for what we are missing) and slowly removing foods from your normal diet.  Then we have three really strict tough days (hence the brussel sprouts) and then we slowly add foods back in.  The whole process takes 10 days. 

Multiple things can happen during this cleanse.  Some people feel lethargic and get headaches.  Some people get more energetic and feel great.  I can report that I have felt both!  What does this mean?  It means that I had some toxins I needed to get rid of (headaches, probably from the non-real food I had been eating) and that I may have some food intolerance (why I feel great now that I am not eating them).

I am not surprised by this.  With my food allergies there is always a possibility that a food in my diet would not be tolerated by my body.  And with all the junk food and processed crap I had been eating, well, there would be my toxins.   So I feel great, today is day 5....only 5 more days to go.  And only 2 more days of the "strictest" part of the diet.

Send me a note if you want more info, I can send you in the direction of my health counselor.  Want to cleanse on your own?  Check out Dr. Oz's website for some great information for yourself.

Or just try day 1, cut out alcohol, sugar, fake sweeteners and all packaged and processed foods.  Bet you will feel better.  And I bet you will lose weight. 

On day 1 you also have to cut out any "flesh" foods.  Meat, poultry, fish, etc.  I didn't suggest that because I am a carnivore.  And I want a burger really bad right now. :)

1 comment:

Lana said...

Right now I am kind of partial to my beef and whiskey! I am, though, trying to moderate the first one and stay away from the last one unless all other mood changers fail!

Post a Comment