Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Here I go...

I wasn't going to post about this today.  And I do try to stay away from some topics, but this one has me wondering where people's priorities are.

Tomorrow's blog post will be about what I wanted to talk about today.  But this just seems so much more important.

This morning on my drive in to work I heard a story on my news radio program about a person who is donating 7.5 million dollars to repair the Washington Monument.  I thought this seemed like an awful lot of money.  THEN I heard the other half of the story, this was a MATCHING donation.  What this means, is that the government budgeted 7.5 million to repair the monument if a private donor would match that amount.

What I want to know is.....if we have 7.5 million dollars to repair a building that doesn't house anyone, or provide medical services, or feed people....WHY ARE WE NOT USING THIS MONEY TO HELP PEOPLE?

What about the homeless?  What about the child going hungry tonight?  But let's go spend the money on a monument?  Here is my idea.  Tear the thing down.  Spend a couple hundred on a fancy plaque that says 
"Here stood the Washington Monument.  In 2011, an earthquake caused the building to be unstable and it was shut down to visitors.  It was decided that the building needed 15 million dollars worth of repairs.  In 2012, we decided to dedicate that money to feeding and sheltering our homeless instead.  This plaque is an honor of the sacrifice that this building made to help Americans."
If you agree with me, please forward my blog post to others and spread the word.  If you disagree, please leave comments.  If I am wrong about something here, please correct me.  Have I misunderstood this news story?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46050494/ns/us_news-giving/#.Txg1o4GKWSo

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Perfectly written!!!! <3

Post a Comment