Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Hunger Games: Dani Reviews It

Yesterday I heard on the radio that the director of the first Hunger Games movie, Gary Ross, will not be returning to film and write the second movie.  And my reaction?  Yes!  Please!  and THANK YOU!

You can read about it here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/hunger-games-director-gary-ross-announces-returning-sequel-catching-fire-article-1.1059592

I was lucky enough to have my sister and her boyfriend babysit my daughter last weekend so that Hubby and I could go to the movies (and pizza sweet!).  It was my birthday and it was VERY nice to have an evening out just the two of us.  I swear, when you can put aside all the little things that weigh down our day, (like chores, cleaning, work, taking care of children, pets and other responsibilities) and just have some one on one time with your main squeeze...you remember just how HAPPY you are.

Yes, me, not always acting like I am happy, but really I am.  Life is good.

Anyway, back to my post.  I got to see The Hunger Games movie last weekend and while I did enjoy it, I definitely have some complaints.  My biggest complaints I think can be directly attributed to the director (since he wrote or co-wrote the script and well, was in charge of the whole thing).

I hate the shaky camera and close-up shots of the actors.  On a huge screen, it was very difficult to follow.  Was this supposed to make it seem more real?  I have been noticing this new way of filming movies.  Guess what directors...it isn't gritty or real.  It's annoying and makes at least half your viewing audience sick to their stomachs.  Please stop.  Make a movie we can enjoy.  My honest to goodness first thought when it was all over?  I may skip the theater for the next one and instead watch it on a smaller screen.  It's days later and I think about the movie and I still feel sick.  And I wasn't the only one to report feeling this way either.

My second complaint....where was the drama???  The book is narrated by the main character, Katniss.  So while we didn't have her inner thoughts and dialogue driving us around the movie, I still think that SOME of what she was feeling could have been portrayed better.  If I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't really know why I was rooting for Katniss to win anyway.  Was this an attempt for us to see it through the eyes of the viewers in the capitol?  The end of the games was just so "ho hum" BORING.  Where was the drama?  The screaming and trying to get to Peeta when the medical team takes him away?  I was very disappointed.  I wanted to see the confusion that Katniss feels and what she goes through.  I would write more about this subject, but if you haven't read the books, I don't want to ruin it for you.

And I know it's cliche, but the books were way better than the movie.

PLEASE please please...new director of the sequel...please make it all better.  Please don't ruin the Hunger Games for me.  Let Jennifer Lawrence narrate the movie if we need it.  Just give us SOME of the internal struggle and drama that was missing from the first.

Anyone else see the movie and agree or disagree?  Thoughts?

3 comments:

Lana Wallpe said...

DANG! I haven't seen it yet, but I was just telling Sarah, from This Farm Family's Life, that I am not sure I want to see it because I have it all in my head the way I want it. I'm not a guts and gory girl, so I really don't want to see everyone's parts hanging out during the games...... I am sure I will see it, but I might be more reluctant now to do so. BTW, just RE-read all the books!

Ronja said...

I agree about the shaky thing. It made me sick in the begining, but then I stopped noticing or it stopped once they left District 12 (and they were trying to make a point with it).

Anne said...

So, in a departure from my norm, I saw the movie first (dragged by my sister), then went home and read the book. I figured out pretty quickly that we wanted Katniss to win and guessed it was just because she was a good person who sacrificed herself. I suspect a lot of the weird camera work was to chill down the violence, like a large scale, not-as-great attempt at the Psycho shower-scene approach to slaughter. I think the people in the Capitol would have wanted the close-up shots of that. (Gross.)

I was surprised reading the book that Peeta's injury was life-threatening bad. I also didn't realize until I read the book that his name is, in fact, Peeta, not Peter. Clearly I'm a Boston girl!

Post a Comment