Pages

Friday, May 04, 2012

Letting go.

If you are a parent or a sensitive person, you may want to get the tissues out for this one.

This week, for the first time, we put Zoe in daycare full time and I started to learn for the first time what it will mean to "let my child go".  Someday she will go to school and grow up and move away, but this was my first step.  I have been so fortunate to be home with her as much as I was able to.  But it's time for her to get more socialization and play time.

And I really don't like it.

But something I like to talk about on this blog is perspective. And from my perspective this week, I am totally selfish.  I only have to let go and have her go to daycare full time.  I still get to pick her up this afternoon and hold her tight and play with her until bedtime.

Other parents are not so lucky as me.

You may have heard the news this week about Baby Avery, the baby with the bucket list?  She passed away this week.  I had just started following her blog and hearing about her passing made me cry so hard.
You can read about it here:
http://articles.cnn.com/2012-05-01/us/us_texas-baby-bucket-list_1_genetic-disorder-blog-entries?_s=PM:US

Her blog was written in her voice and it chronicled all the things she wanted to do before she left this world:
http://averycan.blogspot.com/

Her parents had to let her go, even before she left.  They must be some of the strongest human beings on this planet.  In a weekend where we have The Avenger's Movie coming out, I think we can agree that the parents of sick children (those children can be grown up or still babies!) are probably the strongest super heroes of all.

This is my last post (for this year) about my walk for Cystic Fibrosis, to help out my friends who's little girl has CF.  My friends are Super Heroes.  Baby Avery's parents are Super Heroes.

Want to be a Super Hero?  You can donate to Baby Avery's cause through her blog or you can donate to my walk for Cystic Fibrosis.  (All of my donors will get a picture of Zoe at the zoo!)
http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/DanielleVello

Can't donate?  Try to volunteer your time or help spread the word about these Super Hero Moms and Dads and Grandparents and family members who are trying to raise money to find cures....so that way other parents won't need to be Super Heroes and learn to let go.

I'm sorry to end the week on such a sad note....lift yourself up and feel better.  Spread the word to help out!

My original post about all of this:
http://danidoit.blogspot.com/2012/03/cystic-fibrosis-great-strides-walk-at.html

See you all next week where I will start previewing an exciting project I have been working on.



2 comments:

Lana Wallpe said...

Letting go is the hardest, don't care what your age is or the age of the person/pet/thing you are letting go of. It's just hard. Hang in there. I had to let go of a dear person this week, way before it was her time to go. My heart and several others are still trying to mend and make sense of it all.

Dani said...

Lana - I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for your kind words. :)

Post a Comment