Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Let's get political...

I have Olivia Newton-John's song stuck in my head.
But instead of saying "let's get physical", I'm saying "let's get political".

It all started innocently enough. I logged onto the family forum and I saw a discussion started on the upcoming presidential election and who a certain republican candidate would choose for his running mate. It was very tempting to chime in my two cents, but I resisted. It was just going to start arguments that I didn't really feel like getting into. The whole idea of debate, argument and discussion is to get someone to see your point of view.

And well, I don't think I am changing anyone's minds today. :)
So...must....resist....chiming in...

You see, I have actually lived in the state where that person was a governor, when he was the governor. I think that gives me some very valid arguments. 

But anyway, I digress.

I want to talk about something else completely.

Lately in the news there has been much discussion about a certain chicken sandwich joint and it's beliefs and what they do with those beliefs. I had recently been given some free sandwich coupons to this particular food establishment and I was wondering what to do with them.
I didn't want to support a business that donates millions of dollars to groups that promote intolerance, hate and bigotry. I had someone suggest I go and just get my free food and nothing else. That way I make them spend money but I don't give them any money.
I'm still debating what to do.

But today...I shared on facebook (evil! Evil!!!) that I was happy I had purchased diapers through Amazon.com today. And the reason I was happy was because the founder had donated millions of dollars to support gay marriage.

Which seems a little controversial...because I agree with what he did, I support it? But if I disagree then I don't? Well, sort of.

The nicest thing about living in the United States of America is that we can have these opinions. The other nice thing about this country is that we do not tolerate treating each other with nothing but respect. This means equal rights for all, no prejudices.

So.  I wanted to clarify. The reason I am boycotting the crazy chicken people is because they donated money to groups that spread hate and intolerance. And the reason I am happy to support Amazon is because they are donating money to help spread tolerance and equal rights.

And I really wanted to provide you with an example of a cause I don't agree with, but have no problems with people donating money to, but I'm having a hard time coming up with something.

I believe in letting people live their lives free of judgement, as long as they are not hurting others, they should be left to their own devices. Hmmm, I need a good example.

Okay, I got it.

I don't agree with donating money to foreign aid. I really believe we have a lot of problems that need to be solved HERE first. Too many homeless on our streets for us to worry about the people in another country. Once we resolve our problems here, then we should reach out to help others.
I think this should start at home with family, then extended family, then neighborhood, town etc.

BUT...if a huge corporation like Amazon or crazy chicken people want to donate millions to foreign aid, I'm okay with that. It doesn't hurt anyone, it isn't hateful or intolerant.
You just won't see me doing it. And I wouldn't boycott them for doing it either.

4 comments:

Kris said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! some people actually had the nerve to comment negetively on one of my crazy chicken people posts and I'm really tempted to delete the ignorance. There surely isn't a shortage of that going around.

Justin said...

Give the coupons for free sandwiches to a homeless person who needs food.... the company is not only not getting revenue for those sandwiches but it is costing them. So it would be a win for the homeless person and a double win for opposing the bottom line (the first is that if the coupons expire they don't have the count against them, the second being that they cost money to make and serve, etc)

Mimi said...

"The whole idea of debate, argument and discussion is to get someone to see your point of view."

Not necessarily.. that particular discussion was started to GET information from someone more informed than I..

Lana Wallpe said...

I'm so behind with the chicken thing; I've been buried literally and figuratively in county fair crap. Need to read up on that. I agree, though, with staying somewhat quiet on the family political topic; I have a couple of polar opposites in mine, and the fireworks start immediately if one "goes there." Too tense! I'll stick to "Why do the USA women's gymnasts put glitter in their hair?" especially after having to wash that stuff out of both girls' hair one very late night of the fair. NOT FUN!

Post a Comment