Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Having It All, Part 3?

Some thoughts on the article I have been reading...I will be discussing this over the next few days. This topic has been heavy on my mind for the past, oh 17 months or so. ;) I think a part of this depressed feeling I have is that I am no longer meeting the expectations I set out for myself as a child.

And well, back then I was being groomed to compete in a "man's" world. Let's make it a human being's world.

I would like to point out the "gender" problem here in our society. Where we scream equal rights for everyone, and women are treated equally, but not all people are treated equally.  And anyone who may act more "traditional feminine" vs "traditional male" is NOT treated equally.  Let's stop using male and female, let's try another term, maybe Ying and Yang?

Written by Anne-Marie Slaughter:
If women are ever to achieve real equality as leaders, then we have to stop accepting male behavior and male choices as the default and the ideal. We must insist on changing social policies and bending career tracks to accommodate our choices, too. We have the power to do it if we decide to, and we have many men standing beside us.

We’ll create a better society in the process, for all women. We may need to put a woman in the White House before we are able to change the conditions of the women working at Walmart. But when we do, we will stop talking about whether women can have it all. We will properly focus on how we can help all Americans have healthy, happy, productive lives, valuing the people they love as much as the success they seek.
And I would like to highlight:
"We will properly focus on how we can help all Americans have healthy, happy, productive lives, valuing the people they love as much as the success they seek."


Here is a link to the full article:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/07/why-women-still-cant-have-it-all/309020/1/

More thoughts coming soon....feel free to chime in!

1 comment:

Kris said...

i haven't read the article yet, but it's on my computer waiting for when I have the time. I just want to say that i'm loving this post. this is also something i have been struggling with for a long time.

Post a Comment