Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Having It All.

Have you ever wondered about the phrase "Having it all."?

I know I have.  Recently I have started looking around me and wondering, why do I want it all?
Having it all is a lot of hard work!

So I have begun to think that I need to redefine "Having it all".  Or at least I need to redefine what that means to me. My "all" may not be the same as your "all".

The problem is that I have had that same "all" definition my whole life.  I can't just flip a switch and change my way of thinking.

I'm not a quitter, I'm a go-getter. And I like to rise up to challenges.
(really, please don't tell me I can't do something....because then I go all crazy and think I have to do it just to prove to you that I can do anything.)

Recently I decided I was going to "give up" something. But really what I was doing was picking something else. It will mean one less thing for me to do or worry about.

Why do I feel the need to do a million things anyway?

I once had a friend in high school who got C's and D's on his report card, and I knew he could do better. I asked him about it once and he said "why should I work hard all the time? I can get C's and D's without trying too hard and every once in a while I get an A or B and everyone rewards me for it."

At the time I thought he was just settling for being mediocre.

But as I get older, I wonder....how happy is he with life?  He seemed very happy back then.
I stress about life WAY too much.

Sometimes I just need to let it all go, stop working so hard, and not worry so much.
And maybe just do a little less.

So what is all this rambling about?  I decided to stop doing one blog. I wasn't the perfect fit for it and I wouldn't be the perfect fit for it unless I could dedicate more time and energy into it. And well, I have other things I need to do first. Like my real job. And taking care of my family.

It was really tough to "let go" and to admit that I couldn't do it.
And once I stop thinking about it, maybe I can relax and enjoy myself a little bit.

After all, what is the purpose of life if we aren't happy?
Stop stressing Dani!

And for once, instead of Dani Do It, maybe I should be Dani Don't Bother.  Go have a drink, sit in the sun and just watch time pass you by.  Sigh.

2 comments:

Kris said...

love it. I feel this way about 1000% of the time. I have the mentality that if I don't do it, no one else will and if they do, it won't be good enough. *sigh* most of the time I know I'm right and I really wish i could just have that don't give a crap mentality.

Marybeth Feutz said...

I like what you said about picking something else, as opposed to just "giving up." Every time we say no to something, it gives us the opportunity to say yes to something else - even if the "something else" is just 1 more hour of sleep! I struggle with this A LOT!

Post a Comment