Pages

Friday, November 09, 2012

Black Thursday?

According to the radio dj's and my sister-in-law (who is my source for all info Black Friday shopping related) some retail stores are actually going to open as early as 7pm or 8pm on Thanksgiving to begin the shopping craziness.

Seriously?

What happened to people getting ONE day off? I feel the worst for the employees of that store who are being told that working that day is MANDATORY. That stinks big time.

Seriously?!

This is just awful. Black Friday shopping has become out of control.

Want to know the worst part? You aren't even getting the best prices that day anymore.
Check your flyers for this coming weekend. Loads of Veteran's Day sales are happening. (and what does shopping have to do with Veterans exactly?!)

The prices you get now might be better than what you get on Black Friday. And then the prices just start going up from there until January. Yup, with the exception of holiday themed items, most prices stay high just after Christmas.

I did most of my shopping this year throughout the year. The nice thing about buying for kids (or nieces and a nephew in my case) is that you can buy ahead of time for them, when there is a good price. I would give you examples...but I don't want to ruin the surprise for their parents in case they are reading this.

I think we need to start an anti-black friday shopping movement. It's out of control.

I think the best thing we can do is to refuse to go shopping on Thanksgiving, don't give in to the fake deals on Friday (unless you are first in line, you aren't getting that great deal anyway...and most of the time you can find a better deal throughout the year!) and go shopping on Saturday at local businesses only.

Small business Saturday!

But what I would really like to see is people buying less "stuff".  Get one nice gift per person. Or maybe nothing at all. Honestly, I would prefer nothing or a box of my favorite cookies or candy versus something that someone bought "just to buy me something".

People need to do things together, spend time together.  Experiences and memories versus material things. Donate money to charity instead, or do something nice for people. I would rather spend time with you than receive a gift.

Can I start an anti-Black Friday movement?

5 comments:

TC said...

In Massachusetts, stores are not allowed to open on Thanskgiving. Workers cannot clock in until 12:01 which means that most businesses have to wait until at least 1am to open since it takes time to setup before the rush. I never thought I would say it but, "yay blue laws?"

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/11/15/massachusetts_blue_laws_derailing_stores_black_friday_plan/

Marybeth Feutz said...

I will definitely NOT be shopping on Black Friday.

KJ said...

I've been doing my own anti-black Friday movement for years now. It's called stay home and don't go out shopping! ;)

Justin said...

The only things I will buy on black friday are gasoline and groceries... and then only if absolutely needed....

svetlana leeds said...

Right on!!!! That day scares the living day lights out of me! I plan on doing all my shopping at Kohl's and Tj Max because they have super deals all the time on everything for everyone ;)

Post a Comment