Pages

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Politics - Who do I want for President?


I have had a few comments and grumblings about this week's blog posts. I'll go back to non-political talk soon, I promise. A few people even told me they aren't bothering to read them.  :(

Well, that's kind of my point. We blindly vote without reading and educating ourselves about what is going on....probably because we are sick of talking about it, arguing about it and feel like our votes don't make a difference and all politicians lie.

Well, that's depressing. And possibly true.

But that's why we need to take a more active role.

My sister also pointed out that most people don't have or won't take the time to go read the candidates websites. Good point I thought. She suggested that instead I give you links to some political quizzes to help you learn about which candidate might be closest to your way of thinking.

I also thought that was a good idea because I'm not trying to convince you to vote for a particular candidate. I know that I can't change your mind. If you know who you want to vote for, nothing I say or do can convince you otherwise.
Here are the quizzes: 
 
These quizzes are two of the three that my family was debating about a while back. (We have a family website where we keep in touch...yes, I come from family of computer nerds. Quite proud of that thank you very much! :)) The third test I felt was too leading and thought that the goal was to try and convince you that you were a Libertarian. So I didn't put that one here. If you know of any good ones, please feel free to share in the comments.

And one last website for you to do your fact checking:

So after reading the candidates websites, doing my own fact checking and using all the resources I have given you:

Who do I want to vote for?

The candidate who most closely resembles what I want and what I believe in is Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate. I have known for a long time that my views were mostly Libertarian. I have been disenchanted with our two-party system ever since I was old enough to vote and realized I didn't "love" either choice. I had always thought I was a Democrat and I had a former boss tell me I was probably Republican and didn't know it. When I did my research, I discovered I was Libertarian and more often than not, these candidates fit my same political beliefs.

But take a moment and notice the phrase "Who do I want to vote for?".  There is an emphasis here on who I WANT to vote for. But who WILL I vote for?  Come back tomorrow to read who I will vote for and why I will or won't vote for a candidate.

Remember, I don't want to change your vote, I just want you to know who you are voting for. But I welcome debate and discussion in the comments. (And suggestions to more places to get more information!)

3 comments:

Have Chef Will Travel said...

Well, I have never voted straight tcket in my life, and by discription I to am a Libytarian. But I can not waste a vote on someone that does not have a chance to win.So I vote for the lesser of the two evils.

KJ said...

I know I'm Libertarian and I don't need any test to tell me that.

I believe in liberty. I believe in less government inference in our lives. I believe when a person is an adult they should have the right to make choices in their life. Choices like, whether to wear a helmut or seatbelt, whether to use floride on your teeth or not, whether to buy insurance or take the risk and many other choices that society (government) has decided should be made by committee. How free are we? Not very free at all and we are less free with every piece of legislation proposed and accepted. No, you are NOT your bothers keeper, but they sure try hard to be.

KJ said...

No edit button, so you'll have to deal with the misspelled words LOL

Interference!

Post a Comment