Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Average is okay!

Yes please and thank you to the wonderful person who wrote this post over at Mommyish:
http://www.mommyish.com/2013/01/15/child-genius/

Do I want to see my daughter try her hardest at everything? Of course I do.
But I also want her to be relaxed, happy, carefree.

And most important, I want her to be a good person who is kind to others.

I don't talk about work too often, but a few weeks ago I was heartbroken to hear a sixth grader say to his teacher:
"Is there any extra credit work I can do? Can I do it over again? I just have to get a better grade. My father is going to be so mad at me, I can't take this home."
The worst part? Was hearing the real fear in his voice.
This kid is TWELVE years old (maybe 11 or 13). He shouldn't be this stressed out.
I immediately wondered what his blood pressure was like.

Funny, when I was that age, I became uninterested in school work and almost didn't complete an assignment. I'm not really sure where my mind was to be honest...hormones maybe?

Instead of doing homework or cleaning my room I could be found reading a book.
Reading a book?  Probably not the worst of problems for a parent...but I know my parents were frustrated. Not because I wasn't bringing home A's, but because I wasn't trying...AT ALL.

They knew I wasn't doing my best. And I'm sure I'll feel the same way about my daughter.
But if she is doing her best and working hard, I'll be happy with the C's. Your grades in school don't necessarily reflect your success in life. But how you conduct yourself and how you apply yourself...that's different.

And that poor kid I heard? I could tell by the tone of his voice that he was working hard.
I just hope his parents were understanding. He seemed like a good kid.

I feel like today's kids are being dealt with in two ways. One, everyone is special and everyone wins and everyone gets a trophy. And two, get A's or you are worthless.

I'm sure we can find a happy medium yes?


3 comments:

Lana Wallpe said...

You have so hit the nail on the head. Parents, teachers, students, and those who make decisions about education need to really, REALLY understand that no two kids are alike, and setting the bar for all kids at one level will always leave some unchallenged and others always lacking. We have to borrow from the Army and allow our kids to be all THEY can be.

Have Chef Will Travel said...

I have empathy for that 12yr old kid. It is hard enough being a kid, without that extra pressure.

Chris H said...

Nothing wrong with C average grades. In High School, I tried, although not as hard as I probably could have, and look at where I am now!

Post a Comment