Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Momma Instinct

I've had a few moments of "mom" instinct. Ever hear the phrase "Mama Bear?". I've felt that too.

But this past weekend I got my first dose of what it really means.

We were at our new house (did I mention we are moving? I would use that as my excuse as to why I haven't been writing...but I really don't have one, just been very unmotivated lately.) and we were walking around our yard.

Zoe is pretty good on her feet but still falls down on uneven ground. So there were a few times that she was on her hands and knees. And sometimes in the leaves.

And I did briefly think about dirt and bugs and other creepy crawly things. But I dismissed it because I want my kid to be able to run around outside without me chasing her trying to keep her clean.

We then went out to grab some dinner with friends, and I pushed up Zoe's sleeves so they wouldn't get in her food.

And then I saw it.

A bug, on her arm. And then I realized it wasn't just any bug. It was a tick. And it had bitten her.
THERE WAS A TICK ON MY BABY!!

I didn't even think, I grabbed it by the base near it's head and pulled hard. It took me 2-3 attempts, but I got it out. I promptly put it in a napkin and walked to the ladies room to flush it.
It wasn't until I was facing the mirror and taking a deep breath that I realized what I had just done.

I TOUCHED A TICK WITH MY BARE HANDS?!?!

Immediately I washed my hands in the hottest water I could stand for about 5 minutes.

I don't touch bugs. I don't even touch dead bugs. I jump a mile if one comes near me. I use other objects to pick up dead bugs and toss them outside or throw them away. If there was a tick on me or on Oscar, I would use a pair of tweezers...and then freak out if I dropped it, etc. I do not touch bugs.

But my baby was in danger from this bug, this TICK. And I didn't even hesitate, I got it off of her.

Mama instinct. WHOA.

And I have had the creepy crawly heebie jeebies ever since. I searched her entire body for more, checked myself and I'm still convinced they are all over me. EWWWWW!

And I made sure that Oscar promptly got his tick/flea/bug treatment last night. And I'll be right on top of that all summer.  And now we need to treat our new yard...Anyone got tips for us?  Ewwwww!

2 comments:

Have Chef Will Travel said...

Please disregard previous comment, though accurate,it is outdated.Check online for further info.

Lana Wallpe said...

Just keep checkin'!

Post a Comment