Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer Reading List

Remember back in school when we had a summer reading list?

That was one of my FAVORITE things about summer. I didn't have school work to do, but I had that summer reading list to get through. For me there is nothing better than curling up with a good book (or movie!).  That is my ultimate way of relaxing.  My hobbies and interests come and go...but good books are my one constant.

My new health counselor is encouraging me to find something to do for myself. Something that doesn't please anyone else. Something completely selfish.  Even if it's just 15 minutes a day.

My first thought was that I would just lock myself in a room and be by myself for 15 minutes. You ever have those days when you want to run away from everyone and everything and just be by yourself on a beach somewhere?  I have that fantasy a lot lately...

So what did I decide to really do?  I can't exactly run away. :)

I decided to re-create my childhood this summer with a summer reading list.  I have a large pile of books to go through. To make it fair, I got recommendations for books that I wouldn't normally read and mixed it in with a few that I DO want to read.  This way I'll be exposed to new material and it will be true to that "summer reading list" feel...where you have to read some books even if you don't want to.

So what's on my list?  Here is a picture:

There are 18 books on this list...

Will I be able to finish them all? If you look closely at this picture you can see a baby monitor which tells you a toddler will take up a lot of my time. On the other side is a mostly empty container of cheese balls...so you know I have a husband who would rather I talk to him than stick my nose in a book.  (I would say the cheese balls were mine...but I can't stand them...and Anthony and Zoe love them.)

So this may be a challenge. Lucky for me, I do read fast...and I am DETERMINED to accomplish this before the end of summer.  Which technically isn't until the third week of September, but I might go for a Labor Day due date.  This list is a mix of books I really really really want to read (Like Time Between Us, which I saved for last because there is a sequel coming soon and I would rather read it closer to when the second one comes out) and books that were recommended to me by the local librarians (like the Jodi Picoult books).

I'll be blogging about my progress...and giving you all my reviews.  Want to follow along?  Here is my list and in the order I will be reading them:

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood
Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli
Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha van Leer
Croak by Gina Damico
Scorch by Gina Damico
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Unwholly by Neal Shusterman
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Renegade by J.A. Souders
Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone

I do realize that some of these I have read before. I like to re-read the other books in the series before reading a sequel so that I can become familiar with the characters and plot once again. A few of these may even have sequels that get released this summer or fall...so I'll be looking that information up and I may change the order a bit at the end.  For now you can stick with the first few.

Okay, ready to read with me?  I should warn you...I read fast...and I started last week...so I'm already done the first two and I'm reading the third.  More on those books later this week! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment