Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

AMP 103.3 Radio: The TJ Show!

Most of my readers are local...so I feel comfortable talking about some local Boston radio shows.
(I don't live in Boston, but I do listen to those stations....I have a feeling that no matter where I live, Boston will always feel like home.)

This past year we were given a whole bunch of new radio stations (awesome!) and it was fun for me to flip through the stations to see who was playing whatever song I was in the mood for at that time. For those of you who know me well, I like to listen to country.  But for the past two years I have been listening to a lot of Top 40 Pop...because if I put on country, there was a baby in the back who would throw a fit.

These days my daughter is now two and can vocalize if she likes a song or not. We will get different phrases like "Different song" or "This is good song" ...and when she really likes a song she can name the title or the artist...and when the chorus starts up she usually yells out "Here it comes!".

She gets a little excited about her music.

Since I was a teenager I had listened to the same Morning Radio show on one particular station but lately I noticed I was staying on a new station, the TJ Show at Amp Radio.  I find that I really like the personalities of the DJ's and they happen to be playing all of my favorite songs right now.

Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke (LOOOOVE this song)
Get Lucky by Daft Punk
Cups by Anna Kendrick
Etc...

You get the idea.
They have a decent mix of songs but Anthony likes to complain that they play the same songs too often. And maybe that's true, but I happen to like those songs, so I don't care! haha.

Recently they had a contest to phone in and win tickets to a private performance of Robin Thicke.  I tried desperately to win, and I didn't. But that didn't sour me on the station.  The other morning I was listening to them and they were reading a letter of complaint that they had received.
I decided in that moment that I was going to write them a letter to let them know how much I loved their show. I'm actually looking forward to my morning commute now! It's too rare that we let someone know when we LIKE something. 

I told them all about my commute and how my daughter likes to tell me her preferences in the car. If we are listening to any other station with no music she will request "Different song", but she will actually listen to the TJ Show (plus it's commercial free for an hour each morning, YES!).  This week while I was trying to call and win tickets I would turn the radio down in case they answered. I would immediately get from the back seat "Mama, turn radio on loud, put music back on!"
About half way through the week she "got it" that I was calling for tickets.

Now when I pick up my phone she asks "Mama calling to get tickets?"

Too cute.

BUT...the whole point of this rambling post is to tell you this:
When I wrote them an email....they wrote back!  Both DJ's!  And they were SO cool!  I even called the station and spoke with them briefly. How awesome are they?  They were so down to earth and so nice to me.  I am now permanently listening to their morning show.  Seriously nice people.

So why did I stop listening to the other stations?  The other morning show was grumpy and negative. My other alternative had some great "throwback" music but I couldn't stand the morning DJ banter and I get really uncomfortable with the "prank phone calls" that they do.  Plus it's a lot of bleeping of swear words.

The TJ Show may not be exactly G-rated...but Zoe is still too young to "get" most of it.  Lucky for me, by the time she is old enough to understand what she is hearing, she'll be getting on a school bus and won't be part of my commute.  I just hope that the TJ show is still around for that too. :)

Want to know what I'm talking about? Check them out and follow them all over the place:
http://1033ampradio.cbslocal.com/ 
Facebook: 
https://www.facebook.com/1033ampradio?fref=ts
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/radioTJ
https://twitter.com/LorenRaye

No comments:

Post a Comment