Pages

Monday, July 01, 2013

Athlete Hero Worship

I found this article today:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whitlock-aaron-hernandez-byproduct-of-society-not-aberration-tony-soprano-jay-z-gang-drug-culture-pervasive-in-society-070113

I have to say, I agree with many of the points made here.  I'm a huge New England Patriots fan. To say last week was disappointing is putting it very mildly.

I would like to add a few points to this article.

Number one, I agree 100% that we (the public, the fans, etc) created someone like Aaron Hernandez. I have seen it firsthand when I was a season ticket holder for AHL hockey.  We, as sports fans, worship these young athletes to be heroes.  Who wouldn't get a big inflated ego from that?

I'm a woman, so I can call this out too...women make it worse. They will do *anything* to be around these players. I have been first-hand witness to this. I'm not entirely proud of some of my behavior either when confronted with someone semi-famous.  So I'm no innocent either.

So how do we change this?  We need to make sure our children know about REAL heroes.
Like the fire fighters who died in ArizonaOr the State Rep who stood her ground for 11+ hours.
(click the links to read more)

We need to teach our children to have respect for themselves and others. To not put anyone up on a pedestal and to understand that everyone has imperfections.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

1 comment:

Tony Ferraro said...

Society in general is in the toilet, led by the Kardashians, 16 and Pregnant and other garbage "reality" TV. I'm not surprised by AH's behavior, just appalled. Someone of such talent could be so stupid. So very, very stupid.

Real heroes, like the ones you mentioned, will never get the respect they deserve because they're not flashy enough. When you consider that way more than half of America is easily classified as "stupid", then the sad fact begins to set in that people like us are the out-liars, not the majority.

Post a Comment