Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Between You and Me by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus

Wait...what book is this?  This wasn't on my Summer Reading List!

You are right, this is an "extra" bonus read.  I was given an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC, my first one!) by the publisher and I felt obligated to rush it in to my reading list.  (because I want MORE...more ARC's please!)

The authors of this book are the same who wrote "The Nanny Diaries" which was very popular and even made into a movie.  I never read that book, I had no interest.  And I probably wouldn't have picked up this one either.  The description alone just didn't interest me...

I usually like to get recommendations from other people for new books.

BUT....this one was pretty good.  Especially because I'm into celebrity gossip (I know, I know! I'm trying to quit!) and because it's story really closely paralleled one of my favorite pop singers, Britney Spears.

I was fascinated. I couldn't stop reading. It was like a train wreck that I just couldn't bring myself to look away!  Btw, that train wreck comment refers to the character's story and life...not the writing.
I wasn't particularly attached to any of the characters, I don't see this as a book that I will pick up again and again. But it's definitely worth it to borrow from a friend or the library...or buy a copy and pass along to your girlfriend and then gossip about how it parallels the celebrities we love to gossip about.

The writing style was pretty good.  There were a few points where I felt the story line all of a sudden jumped and I couldn't tell if time had passed (or how much time) but that might have been because I had an advanced copy...I'm not sure.  It was my first one, so I really don't know how that all works.

If you want a nice easy summer book, go for this one. There's a bit of romance mixed in, but nothing too naughty. Safe for teenagers and admitting to your mom that you read it.

Author's website:
http://emmaandnicola.com/

I also posted this review at Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com and Goodreads.

1 comment:

Lana Wallpe said...

I could get in to this kind of work :-) I always avoided "creative writing" assignments because so many books have been published that I didn't particularly care for. It is fun to read something a bit out of your usually comfort read! Good for you!

Post a Comment