Pages

Friday, August 02, 2013

SRL: Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha van Leer

What happens when happily ever after…isn’t?

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.
Here is another one recommended by the librarian.  And another by Jodi Picoult.  And I think I figured out why I didn't like reading 19 Minutes.  I think I just don't like her writing style. This caught me off guard because I very rarely find a book that I don't enjoy reading. In fact, most books I read, I like to read again and again.  But I figured out the problem here (I think). I just don't enjoy this author.

But that was the whole point of the Summer Reading List project. Well, it was mostly to do a lot of reading and to do something for myself, but it was also to expand my boundaries and read things that I wouldn't normally read.

I do feel bad though because I really had to force myself to finish this one. I just wanted to skip it and move on. I found the characters painful to "listen" too and I found myself not caring if they figured out how to be together or not. Oh, and the fact that I found the whole thing absolutely ridiculous. I know this book is aimed at a teenage audience...but maybe sixth graders would enjoy it more.

Jodi Picoult wrote this book with her daughter, and maybe that contributed to the problems? Either way, she's way famous and doesn't need my reviews for her book. So beyond my review here on my blog, I probably won't leave feedback on Amazon or Goodreads. I think that I just don't like her writing style. Kind of like how I don't like butterscotch.  Just a personal preference. I'm trying really hard to not say...okay, I'll just say it.  I absolutely hated this book. Yuck. Won't read it again.

Did anyone read either of these books and enjoy them?

http://jodipicoult.com/between-the-lines.html

3 comments:

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Last comment left on wrong post accidentally :-)

For this one, I really agree with you. I didn't really care about the characters at all, and I didn't really care if they resolved their "problem". Fortunately the book was pretty short, or at least it seemed that way to me, so didn't take a lot of my time. No plans to return to the Picoult library.

Dani Vello said...

phew! I'm not the only one!

Post a Comment