Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

SRL: Croak Series by Gina Damico

I was really looking forward to reading this series for my Summer Reading List project.  I made sure to sprinkle in the books I wanted to read in between the books that were suggested to me so that I would get a good mix. 
I'm not sure if I was coming down off my "I hate these books" reviews or what...but I had a hard time getting into them. One of the reasons I wanted to read them is because the author is VERY funny. (seriously, even if you don't read these books, you should at the least subscribe to her blog.)

So what is it about?
 Fed up with her wild behavior, sixteen-year-old Lex's parents ship her off to upstate New York to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer, hoping that a few months of dirty farm work will whip her back into shape.

But Uncle Mort's true occupation is much dirtier than shoveling manure. He's a Grim Reaper. And he's going to teach Lex the family business.

She quickly assimilates into the peculiar world of Croak, a town populated by reapers who deliver souls from this life to the next. But Lex can't stop her desire for justice - or is it vengeance? - whenever she encounters a murder victim, craving to stop the attackers before they can strike again.

Will she ditch Croak and go rogue with her reaper skills?


I think the problem for me was that I just didn't connect with Lex and all of the anger that she had. I did like the created world and I must have been engaged enough to stick with it...because I didn't hesitate to pick up the second book. And it isn't very often that I can say I enjoyed a sequel even more than the original book...

Sixteen-year-old Lex Bartleby is a teenage grim reaper with the bizarre ability to damn souls. That makes her pretty scary, even to fellow Grims. But after inadvertently transferring her ability to Zara, a murderous outlaw, Lex is a pariah in Croak, the little town she calls home.

To escape the townspeople’s wrath, she and her friends embark on a wild road trip to DeMyse. Though this sparkling desert oasis is full of luxuries and amusements, it feels like a prison to Lex. Her best chance at escape would be to stop Zara once and for all—but how can she do that from DeMyse, where the Grims seem mysteriously oblivious to Zara’s killing spree.


But wait...this isn't just a sequel. It's a TRILOGY!

I noticed about half way through this book that I was all of a sudden up way past my bedtime...and I couldn't put this one down. I was starting to sneak in reading a page here and a page there to get it done. But not just to get it done...but to find out what happens.  There's a little bit of mystery in here and now I am attached to these characters. And I like Lex a bit more than I did in the first book.

And now?  I have to wait a WHOLE month for the last book in this trilogy.  I can wait...sure.
Good thing I have the rest of my summer reading to get through first!

Stay tuned...tomorrow I have a special treat for you...and a giveaway! :) 

1 comment:

Tara said...

I really enjoyed these two books and I'm also waiting for the third one. I definitely wouldn't have picked them up on my own but I'm glad you suggested them.

Post a Comment