Pages

Thursday, March 06, 2014

Highs and Lows

Have you ever had a day that had some really awesome things happen and some really yucky things happen?  I guess they can balance each other out and you can call it a wash...

Today my day started well because a co-worker who hasn't been well is doing much better now.

Then as my day went on...I became increasingly annoyed and frustrated.  I fix computers for a living and I was having a very difficult time solving problems today.  I spent the majority of my day working on one person's laptop and account.  Very annoying.

It got to the point where I decided I should just stop trying.  Today was just NOT my day.

But at lunch a co-worker went to Panera and got me my favorite sandwich.  Which is 740 calories.  So guess the last time I had this sandwich?  Yep....three years ago when I was last pregnant.  (If you were curious it's the Tomato and Mozzarella Panini.)  I can't eat this sandwich when not pregnant.  Because I can't eat just half of it...and that's way too many calories for one meal when trying to lose weight. (which is my current goal whenever not pregnant.)

So lunchtime ...my day was made.
Mid-afternoon I just wanted to give up.

Then I headed home, picked up my daughter (which always makes me happy) and then came home. Hubby was watching my daughter tonight...so my cousin and I hit up the mall so I could shop.

Which again was AWESOME because I never get out of the house.  I had to do some shopping for a bridal shower and birthday party.  And I went to my favorite food court spot for dinner.

Which means food-wise, today was really really good.

Then I went to the grocery store to pick up some milk.  I am easily drinking two gallons a week right now at 36.5 weeks pregnant.  While there my cousin and I got into a discussion about fake sugars.  I don't believe in them, and she avoids them to avoid getting the headaches and migraines they give her. I was curious how many of my favorite packaged foods had fake sugar...because they sneak it in.  Even when not necessary.  (some things have sugar AND splenda...or aspartame.  WHY?)

I picked up a package of Strawberry Pop-Tarts (yum!) to see if they added fake sugars. I had never looked at the ingredients before.  And then my heart sank.  The "cherry" to my bad "sundae".  (Which is really fitting since I am allergic to cherries.)  Turns out that pop-tarts are made with some real fruit...of which I am allergic.  They have apples in them!! (And pears...yes my list is long).

That just sucks.

1 comment:

KJ said...

Darn it Danielle. But you didn't say if they had the fake sugar?!?! That's what I was waiting to find out. :)

Like mother, like daughter. I avoid all the fake sugars and you are so right, they sneek them in. I used to be able to read the top of the ingredients and see SUGAR (great!) no need to read further, I thought. Then I noticed that aspartame further down the list.

I found I had issues with fake sugar when drinking Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut coolatta's (this was several years ago). The franchisee of the Dunkin Donuts where I purchased these used a flavoring syrup called Flavor shots made by Torani. Of course, they didn't want to add calories to their product so they were using the sugar free version.

Here are the ingredients: Sugar Free Hazelnut Syrup

Purified water, natural flavors, citric acid, acesulfame potassium, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness), xanthan gum, SUCRALOSE (SPLENDA Brand), caramel color. Contains hazelnut and milk allergens.

Instead of using a flavored bean to brew the hazelnut flavored coffee (which they had done for years), they started using regular coffee and added this flavor shot for flavoring. I was drinking one large one every morning. After a short period of time I noticed my hands and lower arms were going numb. Through a long process of elimination I finally figured out that it was the sucralose (Splenda) in the flavor shot. After stopping all sucralose I have never had the numbing hands/arms since.

Everyone one is different and we metabolize our foods differently, what effects one might not effect another, but I seriously wonder about any food additive that would make anyone's hands go numb.

I read all ingredients on the foods I buy and am careful not to buy any artificially sweetened products. But, it isn't as easy as it should be. I sometimes wonder when I read ingredient lists and they say "natural flavorings" and they don't say exactly what they are.

Post a Comment