Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Two Quick Reviews

******************************************************


The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene
Synopsis:  
"Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten."
My thoughts:
I picked this book because the movie recently came out.
And lots of people I "knew" (facebook friends, blogs I read, etc) were talking about this book and the movie.

I was told to get tissues ready.

I knew the basic story line.  A dying girl meets a boy, they fall in love etc.
And I told myself I was NOT going to cry reading this book.

And then the story went someplace I wasn't expecting.  And I got a little choked up. :)

Final thoughts?  It's worth a read.
And I'll probably watch the movie when it's available.  If I can remember I want to watch it. I think I need to start a "Movies I want to watch" list to go with my "books I want to read" list.

*********************************************************************************

Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple


Synopsis:
"Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.
Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle--and people in general--has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.
To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence--creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world."
My thoughts: 
I had a tough time getting into this one.  It's not written in the usual "telling a story" narrative. You are reading a compilation of notes, emails and correspondence to understand the story line.

But once it got going...(and Bernadette disappeared) I really wanted to know what happened and if they would be able to find her. Then...why did she disappear?  Is she actually crazy?  Will they ever see her again?  These questions kept me reading even though I didn't really like the format.

I also found the talk about the Microsoft campus, robots and even a Tesla notation very amusing.
I'm happy I read this book, but it probably won't end up in my "I'll read it over and over again" pile.
*********************************************************************************

I'm thinking about doing a giveaway for these two books.  Any interest?  Should I give them away?

No comments:

Post a Comment