Pages

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

True Love

I wish I could bottle the smell of apple crisp baking.  MMMmmmm. Yum.  There's some in the oven right now.  If you are a frequent reader of my blog you know that I am allergic to apples.  Can't eat them at all.  I even carry an epipen for them.  And the worst part?  I can remember what they taste like. I KNOW what I am missing.  And what I am missing is something AMAZING.

So why would I bake an amazing dessert that I won't be able to eat?

Story Time!

Back in 2005 I started seeing this guy.  He found out I knew how to bake apple pie.  And he said "You're going to bake me a pie." And I laughed in his face because I made pie for no man.

I baked pies for friends and for family...but for a guy I was dating?  Uh uh. Never happening.
This independent female doesn't get in the kitchen and bake for a man.

But that Sunday afternoon he showed up at my apartment with two huge bags of apples. He had gone apple picking with his mom.  Since we had just started dating I thought it was really sweet of him to go apple picking with his mother. Little did I know....he had entirely selfish motivations for getting these apples.

He wanted pie.

He put the apples down on my kitchen table and I laughed at him.

He then said let's go for a drive. And the next thing I knew we were at the grocery store, walking down the aisles picking out the ingredients I would need to bake apple pie and apple crisp.  Back at my apartment I started on the pie crust while he started cutting and peeling the apples.

I can vividly remember this moment and can picture the entire scene in my head.  While I laid out the crust I was thinking "Why am I making pie for this man?"

Two pies and one apple crisp later I had a very happy guy in my apartment.
And I was one confused lady.

The following week my roommate said to me "You are going to marry him."
And she was right.

Because it's nine years later.  We've been married five years, we have a dog and two children.

And tonight, because I love him, I made him TWO apple crisps.

And he even still cut and peeled the apples.




2 comments:

OneDomino said...

For the record it was you that said you were the best at making apple pie

Turtle said...

This is my favorite post of yours yet.

Post a Comment