Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter




When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson walks through the halls of her high school, bullies taunt and shove her. She can't go a day without fighting with her mother. And no matter how hard she tries, she can't make her best friend, Matt, fall in love with her. But Ashley also has something no one else does: a literal glimpse into the future. When Ashley looks into the mirror, she can see her twenty-three-year-old self.
Her older self has been through it all already--she endured the bullying, survived the heartbreak, and heard every ugly word her classmates threw at her. But her older self is also keeping a dark secret: Something terrible is about to happen to Ashley. Something that will change her life forever. Something even her older self is powerless to stop.

Wow....so I finished this book a few weeks ago. And I'm still having trouble putting my thoughts into words. I'd like to start off by saying that I think if I had read this book BEFORE I became a mother, I might have had a different perspective. It breaks my heart to think of ANY child going through what the main character goes through. Since I was not a victim of bullying in school, I'm not sure how I would have related to the characters in this book.  I was one of the "middle" kids in school. I wasn't one of the "cool" kids....but I didn't get picked on either. I had plenty of friends but also still felt left out at times.
I think I had a pretty normal high school experience.
But that's not the case for every kid.
And that's not the case for our main character Ashley.

I had a hard time getting into this book. In fact, I read the first chapter, put the book down, and didn't pick it back up for a month. But once I got into the meat of the story...I found that I couldn't put it down. I had to see what happened. There was a bit of a supernatural twist towards the end, I'm still not sure if I liked that or not. I would recommend this book but it's not a "light" read at all. What I do think this book accomplishes more than anything....is putting yourself in someone else's shoes.  I am going to make it a point to re-read this book when my children are teenagers.  

Final thought.  This book was heavy and it had my heart racing and I wanted to yell at the character to get her out of bad situations. I don't think I can articulate how this book truly made me feel but I definitely recommend reading it at least once. I plan on reading it multiple times.

A paperback version is being published in June and is available through your favorite bookseller.
The e-reader version is currently only available in Kindle and if you have Amazon prime I believe you can read it for free.  Add it to your summer reading list....I'm still processing it.  Even a few weeks later.
I am looking forward to more books by this author.

You can find her: 

1 comment:

Have Chef Will Travel said...

I was bullied as a kid growing up, some of it I brought on my self, and a lot of times I did not, in retrospect, I picked on my own siblings, which to this day I regret, and in hindsight, it is hard to forgive myself.

Post a Comment